PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how to play poker

joker122
07-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Shorthanded poker, that is. I want to move up to party 5/10 but I've never played shorthanded. I've tried the games a couple times but I just get steamrolled by the players' aggression. After 20 minutes I'll be down 4 or 5 BB just from surrendering my blinds.

So how do you approach shorthanded with no experience? I'm willing to put in work and time but I need a plan first. Maybe specific questions will be more helpful:
1. What changes do you make in your limping standards?
2. What changes do you make in your raising standards?
3. How aggressively would you play 2nd pair?
4. How do you approach drawing hands given that the pot is usually small because of the lack of players thereby often not offering you proper odds?

These are just some probing questions but if you have other comments to add please, by all means, do so.

Thanks so much, guys.

ctv1116
07-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Come on, as an old hand you should know better to search the forums yourself. You might want to drop down to 1/2 to get your feet wet in shorthanded; the play is awful so you probably won't have to pay much of a tuition while you start reading this forum regularly and gaining SH experience.

tech
07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not near enough of a SH expert to comment much on your main questions. But one thing that might help is to play the 1/2 6-max games for a bit until you get comfortable SH. The lessons are cheaper there. That is what I did before I moved to the 5/10 6-max from 3/6 full, and I think it helped immensely. Good luck.

tripdad
07-25-2004, 04:48 PM
if your goal is 5/10 SH, don't waste your time at 1/2 SH. 1/2 is much more ABC with a lot less maniacs whose bet/raise button is stuck.

seriously though, just sit down and play for an hour and play tight. let them steal your blinds for a bit if need be. after an hour or so, you will have a very good understanding of 5/10 SH partypoker in general and should be able to beat it. o.k., maybe it's not THAT simple, but it is pretty close. hang out in this forumn for hand histories, etc...

cheers!

tech
07-25-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your goal is 5/10 SH, don't waste your time at 1/2 SH

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I should be playing the 200/400 then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guido
07-25-2004, 06:52 PM
I made the switch about a month ago and after a big downswing I do fine now. Just read a lot, post a lot and play a lot and you will do fine.

What changes do you make in your limping standards?

You almost never limp. It's either raise or fold. In general I only limp with Axs or low PP when there are 2 limpers in front of me.

What changes do you make in your raising standards?

Just lower them a lot. 3-bet 77 and 88, raise hands like KJo, ATo, or QJo in CO or button.

How aggressively would you play 2nd pair?

This question is too general and there isn't an clear answer. Just don't fold that easy.

How do you approach drawing hands given that the pot is usually small because of the lack of players thereby often not offering you proper odds?

Play them more aggresive HU. I wouldn't say the pot is usually smaller because of all the action.

The answers I gave are in general and not for specific situations. I also didn't gave a full answer anywhere, just some indications.

Thanks,

Guido

joker122
07-26-2004, 01:56 AM
So this is where you've been hiding? You are missed in SS.

Guido
07-26-2004, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So this is where you've been hiding?

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are missed in SS.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, there is just an overload of posts there. I do read posts from the regulars but even those don't seem very interesting.

Guido