PDA

View Full Version : moving from weak-tight to tight-aggressive.

whiskeytown
07-25-2004, 02:16 PM
I have discovered two serious holes in my game...(well, one, since I quit getting drunk so much while playing - that was a serious hole) -

I am too weak-tight. probably most of the 2+2'er's at last night's home game can verify this - I'm giving too much respect to raises - not raising often enough with top pair, crap kicker - not seeing the turn when the flop leaves me with 2 overcards... - just not drawing enough or not betting enough, I'm not sure which yet.

at what point did you guys make the transition from weak tight to tight-aggressive - I would say based on my stats that my play has cost me approx 2 BB/hr at 233 hrs. of play ranging in limits from 50 cent to 5/10 holdem with only one category currently (3/6) in a positive expectation of 1 BB/hr and 6/12 taking a horrible beating at 7BB/hr over 14 hrs...but I can blame that on game selection and only a third of the hrs logged in at other limits.

I say this because I'm sitting next to 4 players last night who all play online for a living or supplement their income nicely - including Schindes who bought himself a nice car and someone (can't remeber the young red headed kid's name) who bought a 20 inch flatscreen....

we've read many of the same books, but somehow, I'm missing what they're reading.. - SO , advice would be appreciated...esp.from you bastards who took 30 bucks from me last night...LOL

(and yes I was tight in the 2+2 game...mostly cause I didn't know how to PLAY half those games...)

pax
RB

ElSapo
07-25-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at what point did you guys make the transition from weak tight to tight-aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming I am (I have moments when I get there, and a lot of others when I don't), it was when stopped caring about the money.

ElSapo

sthief09
07-25-2004, 02:46 PM
it's no coincidence that those guys all frequent the Heads-up/Shorthanded or Mid-High Stakes forum. putting the time to read and post in the limit hold'em forums will make your game a lot better. posting in the Internet forum is a huge waste of time.

bicyclekick
07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's no coincidence that those guys all frequent the Heads-up/Shorthanded or Mid-High Stakes forum. putting the time to read and post in the limit hold'em forums will make your game a lot better. posting in the Internet forum is a huge waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm that red headed kid. For the record, it's 2 20" flatscreens. I recommend it to all serious players. Easy 4 tables while doing tons on the side as you never have overlap. Or easy 6 or more tables, too.

Anyhow, about you're question, wasn't it you last night who said he never posted hands but instead posted in all the other forums? I'm pretty sure it was. In that case stheif hit it right on the head.

I do agree from playing with you last night that you appeared pretty weak tight. I'm sure I appeared like a loosey goosy aggressive/call station sometimes, but that was just for fun, not how i'd normally play either. So I'll give you the benefit (sp?) of the doubt that the games were changing your play.

I will say that I dont read/post in the shorthanded forum, but maybe I should take more of a look as I think there would be value in reading it.

whiskeytown
07-25-2004, 09:35 PM
my fav. was playing with one hand....35 suited, and deciding to play it to the river and show if I won or if I didn't as a bluff...

we get to the river, and gonores barely makes a half-hearted check..I bet and he mucks instantly with 8 high - I turn up 5 high.....hoping to get some action.

Gonores quote "well, of course I'm gonna bet it...it's Russ" - LOL

bad bad....too weak tight - though that was a nice hand overall. - RB

pokerstudAA
07-25-2004, 09:57 PM
The one time I really felt like I had made that switch in games was when I was down to the last few bills in my account. I knew I was going to put more money in the account and started playing really aggressively. I was still selective about my starting hands and position but was willing to 3 bet and cap much more often than I am usually comfy with. I wound up with one of my best sessions and found myself winning alot of pots without even showing any cards down. It also made it substantially easier to tell when the other players at the table were holding good starting hands or hit a nice flop. I have not been able to keep a solid grasp of this style but hopefully I can get back in this t-a mode before the account runs dry again from playing weak-tight all the time. Any advice as to mind set or playing strategy??