PDA

View Full Version : No soft spots. Thanks everyone.

Bob T.
07-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Last night, I hosted a home game that was attended by Vehn, Mark H, Gonores, Bicyclekick, Andy B, Whiskeytown, Schneids, and Pudley4. We played 7stud, 7 stud hilo-declare, Omaha8, Crazy Pineapple, Crazy Fox, Crazy Fox Hi-Lo, Limit holdem, and pot limit holdem. I don't know exactly how everyone finished, but I think Schneids can claim the title as Minnesota 2+2 Home game Champion.

I think it might have been the toughest 9 handed game that I have ever played in. Thanks everyone for attending. I had a lot of fun.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

whiskeytown
07-25-2004, 12:53 PM
whiskey walked away a measly 30 bucks down....but I can blame that on tipping and that damn rake Vehn made me pay.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good fun, crew...let's do it again sometime.

RB

Schneids
07-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for hosting Bob, I had a lot of fun.

My most interesting hand of the night came in $3/$6 7-stud hilo-declare against Vehn. Just a warning, I play g00t:

I'm dealt 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif with a 2 of some other suit showing, so I have to bring-in either $1 or the full $3. I do $3. Vehn raises, we end up heads up and I call.

4th street I pick up a T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Vehn bets I call. By the fourth street, his board had one ace showing. I don't remember if that was his first upcard or the card he picked up on fourth street. Fifth street I pick up another 2. I check, Vehn bets, I ponder and decide to call. Vehn's board looks really raggedy and it looks like he's going for a low, so, I call hoping he doesn't have a pair of aces or aces up and hoping to catch two pair or that Vehn will only declare low.

Sixth street I get a 7. Now I have 98 2T27. Hey, more outs! I check and call. River gives me a 6 for a T-high straight. I again check and call.

Now comes declare time. For those who've never played this, it involves getting chips in your hands placing your hands under the table, then putting zero chips in one of your hands for low, one chip for high, or two for both high and low. Both people then bring their hand above the table, and show what they've declared. If you declare both and do not win both outright, the other person gets the whole pot. I had a 9-high hand for low but decided to only go for high.

Vehn declared both, then showed trip aces for a high and a 6-high low. At first I saw his AA and thought he had a boat, so I said something like "I think your hand is good." I kept scanning the board and couldn't find another pair to go along with his three aces, so I flipped up my straight. And proceeded to scoop the whole pot. Remember, I play g00t and I **obviously** check called the river to make Vehn think his high was strong enough since looking at my board there's no way he can put me on anything other than two pair, trip 2's, or a boat (which would have given him more action at some point). /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Suck out king!

Bob T.
07-25-2004, 03:33 PM
You forgot to mention that Vehn yelled out 'Ship it!' after he declared, he just didn't say 'Ship it to the guy over there /images/graemlins/grin.gif'.

Schneids
07-25-2004, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to mention that Vehn yelled out 'Ship it!' after he declared, he just didn't say 'Ship it to the guy over there /images/graemlins/grin.gif'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. That is probably the best part of the story /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pudley4
07-25-2004, 04:22 PM
I suck (but it turns out I already knew vehn's supersecret Empire name, so I got that goin' for me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif).
Bob T. is lots older than he looks.
Vehn plays bad (but he came closest in the "guess Bob T's age contest").
Andy B hates Crazy Fox Hi/Lo
gonores owns me.
bicyclekick is a LAG (unless he doesn't know how to play a certain game, then he's just a semi-LAG)
Schneids plays like 2 hands an hour and manages to build and win big pots with them.
Mark H has to get up way too damn early to milk his cows /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Whiskeytown needs to quit spilling his chips into his damn drink /images/graemlins/wink.gif

From listening to the stories these guys told, Canterbury has lots of bad players at the 15/30 and even 30/60 games - unfortunately none of them were there last night

Thanks for hosting the game Bob, it was a lot of fun

-Jeff (aka pudley4)

Schneids
07-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Good Crazy Fox Hi-Lo Hand (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=otherp&Number=861624&Forum =,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=86 1624&Search=true&where=&Name=84&daterange=&newerva l=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post8 61624)

Vehn
07-25-2004, 04:41 PM
I play bad =/

whiskeytown
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I drop ONE chip into a glass of jim bean, and it splashes a 2nd chip, and they're acting like i've somehow corrupted the chip...Jesus

you're just lucky I took said chip and dried it off with my shirt instead of putting it in my mouth and getting every last drop off it..

/images/graemlins/grin.gif - that was probably the high point of my night...the low point being my slowplay of J's full of A's on the flop into Mark H's slowplay of A's full of J's on the flop... - in a Omaha H/L game.

thank god I though he had the low - I just called his raise so we didn't have to waste all night dividing a chopped pot.

RB

gonores
07-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Just got back to Madtown...thanks again for hosting the table, Bob. Much appreciated. It was the best time I've had at a poker game in a long time. I'm too tired right now to expound upon any of the great storylines from last night, but it was awesome.

Andy B
07-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I think that there are probably a few posters here who would have taken great pleasure in seeing Vehn blow a heads-up pot with AAA2346. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Umm, if someone declares both ways, I usually don't figure him for a full house.

Given that there were no face cards on Vehn's board, I think you probably had a fold on fourth street, and definitely had a fold on fifth street. Nice hit, though.

Andy B
07-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Actually, I like Crazy Fox/8 just fine, and the high-only game was probably the best game we played last night. It was just that one stinking hand that got me a little flustered. High-low declare is still my favorite game, and I blew quite a few pots like Vehn's in the years before Canterbury opened.

Andy B
07-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Bob,

Thanks for having us. It really was a good time. Nice to put some names and faces to handles. Also nice to play some games other than limit hold'em, a couple of which I knew how to play, and a couple more of which no one knew how to play.

Vehn called me a nit. More than once. Can you believe it?

Cheers,

Andy B
+$168

Andy B
07-25-2004, 05:57 PM
By the way, I have posted a few hands from last night in the Stud, Other Poker, and Mid-Stakes Hold'em forums.

Bob T.
07-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Vehn called me a nit.

Not to be a nit, but I think it was more along the lines of 'Head Nit' /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Andy B
07-25-2004, 11:49 PM
I couldn't remember whether it was "head nit" or "chief nit" or "prime nit" or "principal nit" or "potentate of nitdom" or what. He has a point. Sue me.

Bob T.
07-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, its a dirty job, and someone had to do it. If you didn't, I probably would have, but that sort of sums up my job about 40 hours each week.

felson
07-26-2004, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, if someone declares both ways, I usually don't figure him for a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a second to figure this out, then I started cracking up. Thanks for the stud/8 lesson.

Andy B
07-26-2004, 01:28 AM
You're welcome. This wasn't stud/8, though. It was high-low with a declare and no qualifier for low.

At least once a guy in my old home game declared both ways with a full house. Everyone was going high, so it worked out fine for him. This guy drank truly prodigious quantities of beer, so his judgment was occasionally suspect.