PDA

View Full Version : SSH pre flop play question

me454555
07-25-2004, 11:50 AM
In SSH, they don't talk about the number of limpers already in when talking about preflop play. Why is that? I think it would change the strategy a bit if you're in MP and you open limp vs limping with after 2 or 3 players.

Ed Miller
07-25-2004, 12:16 PM
I think it would change the strategy a bit if you're in MP and you open limp vs limping with after 2 or 3 players.

It does change strategy... a bit. But the whole point of "how many limpers" is mostly to be an estimate of how many players the final pot will have. I talk plenty about how hands play in multiway versus short-handed pots.

So your job is to fill in the middle... "What does having two limpers say about the number of people who will ultimately play the pot?"

As for why I didn't include that in the charts... well, the charts are intended to be very simple.

Clarkmeister
07-25-2004, 12:38 PM
I love how the section the author calls "the least important in the whole book" has gotten like 90% of the forum discussion time about the book.

Ed Miller
07-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I love how the section the author calls "the least important in the whole book" has gotten like 90% of the forum discussion time about the book.

I'm flabbergasted.

Clarkmeister
07-25-2004, 12:49 PM
And they say sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet.

razor
07-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not.

cowboyzfan
07-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Maybe the pre flop play section is the "least important section in the book". but the book also says if you get pre flop play wrong, you can't win.

I know i asked about pre flop play because it was the section i had just read, i wanted to understand everything before i went on to the much more important post flop play.

Going by the chart alone, you can limp in with A2s even if the first five players have folded. That leaves four players behind you that could possibly be in the pot. Previous books would have probably said fold in this situation. And I know on the small stakes hold'em boards many would say fold, because they have over and over.

I realize that you say in your concepts that this hand wants lots of people in the pot. What i am asking, and i doubt i am alone in wondering, is from mid or late position, do we need to see a certain number of players in the pot before us, before calling with these speculative drawing hands? Or are we just figuring we will get enough callers behind us to make this a +ev move?

Going by my own "filling in the middle" I would say if the people behind me were joining 90 percent of the previous pots I would limp in. but if the table had suddenly become very tight, i would fold this hand. Is that what you are trying to do, make us think for ourselves?

I only have this one question on pre flop play, don't think that I won't ask you many more on post flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ed Miller
07-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Is that what you are trying to do, make us think for ourselves?

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think the preflop section contains all the necessary material for you to draw a conclusion about your A2s situation. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt Ruff
07-25-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be because it's the most straightforward section in the whole book, and the easiest to digest on the first pass. Also, given that many other hold 'em books tend to focus on preflop play, it's a natural point of discussion if you're comparing.

-- M. Ruff

maurile
07-25-2004, 03:44 PM
It's because the pre-flop play is at the beginning, and many people are still only on page 100 or so since the book just came out.

The "raising for a free card" posts will trickle in on Monday or Tuesday.

Ed Miller
07-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I only have this one question on pre flop play, don't think that I won't ask you many more on post flop.

Just to make sure you see it, I posted something in the small stakes forum that was semi-inspired by this discussion:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=862129&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#862129

cowboyzfan
07-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Just to make sure you see it, I posted something in the small stakes forum that was semi-inspired by this discussion:

I did see it Ed, thanks. I appreciate any chance to learn and improve.