PDA

View Full Version : Push on the bubble with a big stack behind?

Mr. D
07-24-2004, 09:08 PM
$22 SnG. There's 5 of us left, blinds at 100/200. I'm the CO w/ T1000. Button is the big stack w/ T3000. Blinds both have me covered by a little. UTG folds it to me. I push w/ KTs, button calls w/ QJ(off) and hits a J, knocking me out. (Blinds folded).

Bad move or just unlucky?

I'd previously lost alot of chips to the same guy (Button above) when I tried a steal, flop was rags so I tried again w/ 1/2 pot bet which he called, both checked the blank on the turn, and the river was a K which didn't hit me but he checked inducing me to take one more stab at it with another 1/2 pot bet of T350 right before he showed me KJ, having hit on the river. So basically the guy probably thinks I'm a LAG idiot who he can take advantage of.

naphand
07-25-2004, 04:52 AM
I think KTs would rather see a flop before committing. There are too many ways for you to lose this. Perhaps any reasonable A and any pair is good for a move, as you can win unimproved.

What would the big stack call you with here? If he reads you as making a move he will call with any pair, almost any A and 2 broadway cards (which is what he did). He can afford to lose T1000 to you and still be in a good state to win.

I think I rather have better than a T kicker to cover most of the broadway cards he plays back at you with. KTs is just KTo unless you have a good flop (which is why my opening remark). I think against a weaker player, and a smaller stack, KTs is ok to make a sizeable raise to steal the blinds, but this situation is asking to get played back at.

It's tough that the big stack is to your immediate left, making it very hard to steal anything. Your previous chip-loss to him should warn you that he is a tricky customer and looking to catch you out. Perhaps he did notice you were playing a little LAG - were you? He probably feels confident to call you with a lot of holdings, you need to SD a big hand to scare him into re-considering. Not easy with the blinds about to eat you up.

HUSKER'66
07-25-2004, 05:55 AM
Sorry, but I don't like it. I realize your short handed and your gonna have to pony up 30% of your stack in the next three hands, but K/T (even soooted) is not a hand to push with. Suited two gappers have to have a very favorable flop to be any effective. I wouldn't invest 20% (200T) on this hand.

JMHO

Husker