PDA

View Full Version : baby set flopped in mulit-way raised pot. 2 broadways on the board.

Kevin
07-24-2004, 04:44 PM
No notes on raiser. Game has been pretty tame - 2-3 preflop, usually in for a raise.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

<font color="red">I 3 bet to try and get potential middle pair, backdoor draw hands out as well as to see how much the PFR liked his hand.

With 4 bets, he likes it a lot. Do I start even thinking about set over set here? </font>

Turn: (11.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="red">I am pretty sure that the only hand that I could beat that he 4 bet on the flop is now AK(s). If a bad card came, I was going to check raise to see if i was 3 bet and bet out on the end. With the queen, I decide to go into check call mode (MUBS?) </font>

River: (13.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

<font color="red">In retrospect, he was probably scared of a hand like Q10s. If I bet here, does anyone think that it is unlikely that he would raise a set of kings, queens or jacks? </font>

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.50 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
MP3 shows Ad Kd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>

Thanks,
Kevin

TRWIII
07-24-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With 4 bets, he likes it a lot. Do I start even thinking about set over set here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. He might have jacks, but he didnt raise preflop, so kings are unlikely. Top pair or 2 pair are much more likely.

On the turn I'm more then likely checkraising him regardless. If he three bets me there, Ill go into check-call mode. If he calls the check raise, I'll lead the river too. Do you really think he'd play any hand with a ten like this? I dont see that rivered nine helping him very much, therefore I believe after you checkraise the turn and werent 3-bet, leading the river is a clear value bet.

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII

Now Ill read the results.

Kevin
07-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I understood you.

[ QUOTE ]
but he didnt raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with 5, 5. UTG+2 posts a blind of $5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="red"> MP3 raises, </font> CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5, K, J (6 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="red">MP3 raises, </font> CO folds, Button calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG+2 folds, <font color="red">MP3 caps, </font> Button folds, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, since he was the preflop raiser, that is was why my nuts shrank up, but I think my value bet on the end was a no brainer and I will miss that $20 when I do my year end accounting.

Kevin

TRWIII
07-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Argh. Sorry bout that. Had the wrong middle player raising. It still doesnt change much. As a matter of fact It might make this aggression even more right. You should be ecstatic if he has rockets or AK, because hes going to pay you off all the way. The fact is, your small set runs into an overset so seldom I dont think its worth giving a whole lot of attention to. You'll get paid off all the way from 2 pair and top pair so often, that the rare occurrence when he outflops your set shouldn't worry you too much.

TRWIII

MN_Mime
07-26-2004, 11:55 AM
With the posting player and good position, I think a looser PFR for a steal is likely (how is his stack?).

I'm putting him on AKs or KcJc. In his eyes, he's flopped a monster (with outs) and he's trying to punish you for chasing a weak kicker or for a draw.

Isn't this exactly the kind of action you want when you're playing small pairs? You're trying to catch a big starting hand when the flop hits you. If you're not going to punish these hands when you hit, you probably should stay away from them.

That said, it's easier to play your money than mine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I like TRWIII's line of play on this. Glad it worked out for you!

sthief09
07-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Bet the turn. Then worry about a set over set. the rest looks good. Good job resisting the urge to slowplay in a big pot and great flop bet with the PFR on the other side of you. but remember, he'll have AA or AK a lot more than KK or JJ, and he'll play it exactly the same.