PDA

View Full Version : I kinda hit my hand, so I folded

kyro
07-24-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm running well in PartyPoker 5+1 SNG's. Why am I playing the 5+1 (the 20 percent rake)? Well let's just say my bankroll is...meager. Anyway, after facing the possibility of having .10 left in my account if I don't make the money in my next SNG, I go on a nice run. My strategy has been...you ready for this? To not play dumb. So far, so good...

Hand in question. I'm BB with ATo. It's still very early in the tourney, so stack sizes are fairly irrelevant. There's a raise from UTG+2 or MP1, and 5 people call, I call with my crap hand that doesn't play well multi-way. Hey, pot odds right? Anyways, flop comes AKQ, 2 twotone, not of my suit. I'm first to act...and I check/fold to a minimum bet.

Do I deserve a crowbar upside the head?

stupidsucker
07-24-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm first to act...and I check/fold to a minimum bet.

Do I deserve a crowbar upside the head?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call the preflop RAISE if you wont call a min bet on the flop? I would have layed down ATo preflop for 100% certainty, but on the off chance that I hit the wrong button, I will certainly call the min raise here. The pair is no good IMO, but the pair plus the inside draw is worth calling the min bet. It had to be a fraction of the pot size.... and you were talking about pot odds preflop...

Call it, and hope a jack comes. If it does then the person that has the 2 pair will often pay you off HUGE. Not enough people at the $5 have enough smarts to lay down 2 pair vs a four straight board. Sad but true.(**WARNING**) If you do make your straight, dont be the guy that loses all his chips when the board pairs or flushes.. Be carefull.

Truth is your T kicker might very well be good enough too, but unlikely. Its certainly good enough to call a min bet with.

You have the right attitude, but you were too loose preflop then too tight on the flop.

kyro
07-25-2004, 12:37 AM
I guess I was hoping for a better flop than AKQ. I'm getting 10:1 on my PF call, and I know it won't be reraised behind me, so I figured I had to at least call.

The flop comes and I'm seeing monsters. TJs, any 2 hearts, two pair. I'm positive I'm behind here, and the only thing that will help me is an A or a J., and that's a big if. Hell, even if a J comes, if it's a heart I may be behind. I cannot see how calling in this situation is +EV.

I agree my PF raise and my flop fold seem contradictory, but given the specifics at the time, I couldn't see doing anything else.