PDA

View Full Version : Failing to get away from mediocre hands: another example

TeeVeeDude
07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I feel like I'm being very self-centered posting these. But just the act of posting these hands has helped me to clearly see where I screwed up. Comments are appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

SB (t1595)
Hero (t945)
UTG (t1290)
MP1 (t577)
MP2 (t625)
CO (t950)
Button (t2018)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t50.
Hero calls t50, UTG calls t50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t50, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) checks.

Flop: (t200) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t50</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t50, UTG folds.

A larger bet would have scared me off here, but I'm thinking he has second pair, or a drawing hand. Maybe that's just what he WANTS me to think!

Turn: (t300) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t50.

Still no alarm bells going off.

River: (t500) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125.

OK, there's three clubs on the board... there's a four-card straight on the board... there's an ace on the board... I've got a pair of eights. What the hell was I thinking?

Final Pot: t750
<font color="white">Main Pot: t750 (t750), between Hero and MP2.</font>

Results in white:
<font color="white">MP2 shows a straight, four to eight. Duh. </font>

Jason Strasser
07-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the boards,

To put it nicely, you completely butchered and absolutely played this hand horribly and there is no justification for any of your moves with the exception of preflop.

88 UTG is tricky. If your table is passive, limp, play for a set. If your table is aggressive, you can raise for the blinds, and fold to a reraise. If your table is truly tough, you could fold, especially if you have a tendency to play postflop this crappily.

So preflop is OK.

On the flop, someone bet the minimum got a caller and its back to you. Now, T50 is not a lot of chips, but please look at the board. You must assume your hand is not good unimproved. Do people love to limp with Ace crap? Yes. So calling, you need correct odds to do so. As I see it, you have 2 outs. Keep in mind, if there is a flush or straight draw out there, the two outs you hit may be not good enough to showdown at the river. But for our sake, lets say 2 outs.

You are getting 5:1 to call a 20:1 shot (or so). Not good, and your implied odds arent even that good as MP2 only has 600 chips.

This fold is routine.

On the turn, I'm not sure what on earth you are doing. Betting for value? You just gained 4, maybe 3 outs, but you are heads up with a short stack. This is not the time to draw. So you are betting for value? Then you get min raised, what min raises you that beats you?

On the river you call, what hand do you beat? Even if he was semibluffing the entire way, any concievable draw just was made on the river.

This hand is absolutely horrible, and I put it in nice words.

Welcome to the boards /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Jason

TeeVeeDude
07-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words...

The strange thing is, that I knew it was crappy play even as I was doing it. Maybe I should have posted this one under "Psychology."

Hey, we're practically neighbors! Wanna be my coach?

AJo Go All In
07-23-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell was I thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

me have pair me call?