PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk CO

Nick709
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone ever plays up there either at The Lodge, Mountain High or Fortune Valley. And if so have you at all been able to beat the 5-5 games up there.
I used to go up there all the time but I recently moved to Ithaca NY so now I go to Turning Stone when I'm not playing online.

tdp
07-25-2004, 12:06 AM
I play up there a lot.You want to play the 2-5 games at the Lodge.5-5 is more like bingo.Every round is capped with nonsense cards.The 2-5 tables are atcually playing hold-em.
They recently reopened the poker room at Colorado Central Station and they're running tournements five days a week.

Clarkmeister
07-25-2004, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5-5 is more like bingo.Every round is capped with nonsense cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, who could possibly want to play in a game like that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oblivious
07-25-2004, 02:50 AM
The aggressiveness of the game is not the problem. The problem is youre paying $10 in blinds every round, but the limit is $5 for bets and raises on every street. So while all the maniacs make you wait for premium hands, you go through $100 in blinds every couple hours.

I personally play at the lodge 2-5 game. I used to get into trouble with boarderline hands, but ive recently been winning pretty steadily. If youre out to make money, online is better. The rake is not as bad, and the limit structure doesnt make the game so much of a craps shoot. I only go when i need some time out of the house.

Dav123
07-25-2004, 06:03 AM
I've played in this games twice Clark. It is the most fun, most profitable, and most fluctuation game I've ever seen. You literally go into every hand expecting every street to be capped. You don't have to think much, but you have to sweat a lot /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

CORed
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I sometimes play in Blackhawk, and I prefer the 2/5 game, because the smaller blind makes it less expensive to play tight. I have been in a few 2/5 games which play like the 5/5. Players start posting $5 blinds, straddling and raising anything preflop. The advantage is that I keep posting a $2 blind when it's my turn, "peer pressure" notwithstanding. Sometimes, though, the 2/5 plays very loose passive preflop. In this case, you can play some pretty trashy hands in late position, because of high implied odds. The other good thing is that you can raise to $7 preflop with good hands, and kill the implied odds of the folks playing trash. OTOH, the big pots in 5/5 mean a smaller percentage is getting raked, which is a significant advantage, if you have the bankroll and the emotional stability to handle the fluctuations.

J.A.Sucker
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
You shouldn't be so nitty and post the 2 dollar blind to save money. This is absolutely the worst thing you could do in a game like this, and it could kill the action. I used to play back in CO a few years ago, and the 5-5 games were consistently terrific. The 2-5 games could be great for awhile, but something could easily kill the action; posting 2 bucks might be enough. Why take the chance? Further, why let the others realize that you care about money?

Also, the best game up there (it was when Bullwhacker's still had a room) was the stud 8 game - I think it was 2-5. Wow. The tournaments were also pretty good, but with internet poker offering such higher stakes, I don't think it's worth the sketchy drive up there.

CORed
07-27-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't play there very often. I can play higher stakes with less rake on the internet, but I enjoy a live game now and then. I've only been in a few wild 2/5 games, and haven't found that just posting $2 killed the action, though I suppose it could happen. The wild games (whether 2/5 or 5/5) can certainly be profitable, but the loose passive 2/5 games can be, too, with less variance, so I don't really care if they quit straddling and posting $5 blinds.