PDA

View Full Version : QKo, preflop in MP

Entity
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Trying to figure out if I'm playing too weak-tight. I've made some unprofitable decisions w/QKo (it's -.69BB/hand for me, lost me $26.38 in the last 2500 hands). Is this a good fold?

-----

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, Hero folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 0.70 BB

bisonbison
07-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Raise, call, fold.

Fold is the worst option.

Entity
07-23-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise, call, fold.

Fold is the worst option.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, same situation, KJo.

If faced with a re-raise after raising QKo -- fold?

I think this is one of my weakest hands (AJo and QKo right now are killing me).

Rob

Danenania
07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
KJo you can fold.

If you are reraised with KQo, call then proceed with caution. If it is reraised and capped behind you, however, easy muck.

Octopus
07-23-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If faced with a re-raise after raising QKo -- fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no hands you should limp (or raise) with that you should then muck for a single bet pre-flop. Don't even think about it.

Surfbullet
07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There are no hands you should limp (or raise) with that you should then muck for a single bet pre-flop. Don't even think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be very careful with this statement - there are many hands (small suited connectors, mid 1 or 2 gappers (over T) etc) that you want to play for 1 sb against a few limpers, but which you do NOT want to have to call a raise with.

Having put the first bet in makes it better to call a raise than fold, but if you suspect you will have to call a raise it is much better to fold before putting any money in. Limping with marginal hands and coldcalling raises frequently can be quite a leak.

Surf

Octopus
07-23-2004, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be very careful with this statement - there are many hands (small suited connectors, mid 1 or 2 gappers (over T) etc) that you want to play for 1 sb against a few limpers, but which you do NOT want to have to call a raise with.

Having put the first bet in makes it better to call a raise than fold, but if you suspect you will have to call a raise it is much better to fold before putting any money in. Limping with marginal hands and coldcalling raises frequently can be quite a leak.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was not worth calling a raise, how could it have been worth limping in the first place? Even in the worst case where I was first in, the next player in raises, and everyone folds to me, I am having trouble thinking of a hand I would be unwilling to play for 3.5 or 4.5-1 odds which I would be willing to limp with in the first place. You are, of course, right: if I expect to be raised, or if I expect few callers, that will affect what hands I am willing to limp with. Never the less, having limped, I would call a single raise every time.

Jaran
07-23-2004, 06:34 PM
is this a good fold?

Ummm, no. Easy raise.

-Jaran

Jaran
07-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I agree for the most part. The one exception for me would be if I completed a marginal hand in the SB and the BB raised, then I might fold.

-Jaran

Entity
07-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Would being in EP affect my decision on this, or is it likely still +EV to raise?

Rob

Jaran
07-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey Entity,
The only place I wouldn't always raise this 100% is UTG, and then I raise a lot of the time. KQ is a strong hand and I want to extract as much as possible from it.

-Jaran

Entity
07-23-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Entity,
The only place I wouldn't always raise this 100% is UTG, and then I raise a lot of the time. KQ is a strong hand and I want to extract as much as possible from it.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. It's one of the hands that has given me the most troubles. I'll learn to adjust to it, I'm sure. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob