PDA

View Full Version : A little learning is a dangerous thing.- Turn decision help please

TJD
07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

I was unsure about which of 2 concepts to apply to my first decision on the turn:-

a) Check behind since I have few outs and so do not want to face a turn raise. I would prefer a free draw to my set if I need it.

b) Bet the turn in the hope of getting:-
1) a free showdown from a weak ace
2) the chance of that weak ace folding
3) a lower one pair hand calling in error

Also I really have not seen much from this player so I have no idea what to expect. Against normal $5/$10 PP players:-

should I raise the flop?
should I call the turn raise?
should I call the river?

As you can tell I am not sure about this one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ElSapo
07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I like the flop raise. From there, I think you could play either line but betting and folding to a raise is better. If he's drawing, you want to keep the meter running. Folding to the checkraise is pretty simple I think. If he calls, I'd check the river if checked to.

kamelion44
07-23-2004, 02:15 PM
With the way the hand is setup, and the fact that it's 5-10 PP, #2 on your list of 3 options is almost non-existant, and really, what's the point of option #1? You are an incredible underdog to hit your K, and one of them is Kd, which you wouldn't exactly be thrilled to see either. In other words, you don't stand to gain much from the free showdown, and you can get yourself into alot more trouble when he check-raises you. I think there's no way he folds any Ace, and probably won't even fold an 8 or a middle pocket pair. And of course there's no way he folds a diamond draw. If this were a real tight game, I would say that you could easily check on the turn, since he probably has something due to the action on the flop. Did you possibly have a read on him beforehand to know if he were capable of check-raising? PP 5/10 means he could be in there with alot of things you'd want to bet at.

However, I would strongly consider folding to the check-raise on the turn. There aren't too many players out there who will check-raise bluff here, and it doesn't make any kind of sense for a marginal or drawing hand to raise you. By your own read of the situation, you're either up against the real deal Ace, or a weaker pair (and I would consider a diamond draw of course)...would you really expect a check-raise from the two options you're still beating (D draw and weaker pair)? I'd be more prepared to see A2o, than JJ. So unless you had a read on him that said "Maniac, will check-raise into an Ace high board with unimproved JJ on turn," I would have to at least think about folding and saving myself 1.5 BBs.

sthief09
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
when he check-raises the turn after raising the flop, you don't think you're beat?

take your free turn card and call a river bet, or bet the turn and fold to the raise.

SpaceAce
07-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Most of the time I am going to raise the flop and bet the turn just like you did but when my opponent check-raises the turn, I am usually going to go away.

SpaceAce

MoreWineII
07-23-2004, 04:07 PM
It's unanimous. Fold to the turn raise.