PDA

View Full Version : The new Ed Miller Book

daiwiza
07-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi!

Do I really need this new book, if I know HPFAP?

I wonder if there canl be such a great difference.

regards Dai Wizard /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tosh
07-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Yes the 2 books are geared for very different games.

Nottom
07-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I haven't finished it, but from what I've read Ed's book is fantatastic.

The post-flop advice is the most complete that I have seen in print. I thought the section on evaluating hand strength after the flop is worth the price of the book on its own and I still have almost half to book to go.

benfranklin
07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Do I really need this new book, if I know HPFAP?

I wonder if there canl be such a great difference.

regards Dai Wizard /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The authors state that the advice in the two books is different, for different types of opponents. The advice in HPFAP assumes that most of your opponents play reasonably well. The advice in SSH assumes that many or even most of your opponents play poorly (they play too many hands and continue to play marginal hands after the flop). If you are playing in the first kind of game, you don't need SSH. In the second type, you do.

Danenania
07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
The book is simply incredible. I got it in the mail yesterday afternoon and finished it before bed. Already noticing big improvements in my game.

lacky
07-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Wow, I must read slow. I got it 5 days ago and I'm only one quarter through. My additude has always been that any book cost less that one pot. If I get advise that helps me win one pot one time, it was worth it. So, unless the book is crap and has faulty advise, it's always worth it. So far, Ed's book has been really solid and well written. For me at least, it seems a little easier to follow than the Advanced books also. It's a good purchase IMO.
Steve

BarronVangorToth
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I must read slow. I got it 5 days ago and I'm only one quarter through. My additude has always been that any book cost less that one pot. If I get advise that helps me win one pot one time, it was worth it. So, unless the book is crap and has faulty advise, it's always worth it. So far, Ed's book has been really solid and well written. For me at least, it seems a little easier to follow than the Advanced books also. It's a good purchase IMO.
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually like this logic as well -- it's the logic I use when buying most poker books -- but the problem is most books are terrible and might end up costing you money if you don't sift the garbage from the gems (and most are far more of the former than latter).

With that said, this book is NOT one of those and I highly recommend it, for what it's worth (as I would recommend, of course, HEFAP).

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)
"Great Job, Ed!"

SenecaJim
07-23-2004, 02:20 PM
get it. Mine is on order. will go along side hfap, pt, scsfap, gfal, and so on.

namknils
07-23-2004, 03:41 PM
From a previous post of yours:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Is there really someone who has been winning significantly over a longer period of time ( half a year or even a year)at Party 2/4 or lower. I play there since January 2004 but can only break even. Without rake I'd be a winner however.
I think I'm just too untalented for more....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to become a better winner at party 2/4 then you definately should buy Ed's book.

-nam

Edit: I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, this post was almost two months ago and maybe you've become very good in the last two months. But for me, I am doing well at 2/4 right now but I can tell that I don't understand everything, and I am thrilled to have Ed's book to help me become better. I'm about 100 pages in and love it so far.

jedi
07-23-2004, 03:53 PM
You don't need this book to tell you how to beat "terrible players," but you do need this book to tell you how to extract the maximum from them and learn to CRUSH these games, not just win a little bit.

I'm only about halfway through the book, but I'm amazed at the way it explains some concepts that I had heard of but didn't completely understand before like why and when to NOT raise on the flop so that you can raise on the turn. The advice is NOT limited to small stakes games, but you have to be discerning on when to use it in higher stakes games. Simply put, the conditions that exist in smaller stakes games won't often be in the higher stakes games. Ed doesn't necessarily make this distinction in words, but in pot size. Pots will be more multi-handed and bigger in small stakes games which is the main thing that previous authors have gotten wrong. Ed seeks to correct our play in these situations.

PotatoStew
07-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Are there any major differences between this book and Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold Em?

Wada
07-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Go here http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=735281&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post738891735281

SossMan
07-23-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any major differences between this book and Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold Em?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah...not any important ones anyway.

MicroBob
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
for those that can't tell...Sossman has a slight edge of sarcasm to him sometimes.

WLLHE will get you playing tight...and pretty weak typically.
SSHE will open your eyes to how the game should be played.

i was aware of many of the concepts that would be covered just based on Ed's posts. i was very much looking forward to it and the book has exceeded my hopes in terms of quality and depth and ease of use.

i would say that you don't need this book if you can meet any of the following conditions:

1. you are already regularly beating-up on the 30/60 games or higher and are content with your profitability
2. you already know more about poker than Ed and can run circles around him in discussions involving outs, pot-odds, raising for value, etc etc.
3. you don't have an interest in becoming a better player.
4. you would be so guilt-ridden by taking your opponents money that you would need to seek therapy (which, ironically, you would now be able to afford).
5. all of the games you play in are of the variety covered more thoroughly in HEFAP (which is extremely unlikely)

there is no question that this book is better than WLLHE and significantly more accurate and thorough.
WLLHE contains some ideas and examples that just aren't very sound.

in short: if you can read english, can handle a little bit of math, and want to become a decent to good player, there is NO EXCUSE for not getting this book.

p.s. - ed, you can just send my testimonial-check to my home address. thanks.

Tosh
07-23-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for those that can't tell...Sossman has a slight edge of sarcasm to him sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And thats why we all love him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob T.
07-24-2004, 04:10 AM
The post-flop advice is the most complete that I have seen in print. I thought the section on evaluating hand strength after the flop is worth the price of the book on its own ...

From what I have read, this is a monstrous understatement. The evaluating hand strength section is worth thousands of dollars to anyone playing 2-4 or higher. I haven't finished the postflop concepts, but it seems that anyone who reads and understands this could take a huge step forward.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

daiwiza
07-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanx to all answers (I already ordered it).

daiwiza
07-24-2004, 07:38 AM
no no it's ok....

That's exactly the reason why I asked, I even quit Ring Games since then, because I didn't improve, so maybe I'll give it another try now with Ed's book.

Dai /images/graemlins/tongue.gif