PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here (U.S.) been audited?

PlayerA
07-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Given the recent thread on taxes, I am interested in hearing from anyone here who may have been audited. It seems likely that someone here has been audited. Whether or not they will share their experience is another story.

cardcounter0
07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Yes. Before I had any gambling income to speak of. A series of complex real estate transactions among my family triggered it. After about two months of investigation, determined that I owed exactly $102.00

I immediately wrote a check, and big mistake -- mailed it. The next day, after the hearing where it was determined that I was short the $100 bucks, I went to the bank and discovered my bank account had been frozen. Luckily, I had a gas credit card so I could get gas for my car to get to work. The very next day, a deputy sheriff showed up on my door step wanting to know who actually owned the cars in my drive way, and if I had a color TV. Being in a really nice mood, I informed him he better have a warrant because without a warrant and being on my property, he was about 30 seconds away from serious harm. Luckily, he realized what a total BS mission he had been sent on, and left.

The next day, the IRS got it's check. I have never heard another word from them. To this day, I make sure that every transaction gets treated properly tax-wise, and make double-sure the IRS never gets 1 penny more than it is owed. I have even set up a non-profit charitable trust fund, so I can donate money to charity (and control how it is used), so as a last resort to paying taxes, I donate the money to the poor instead.