PDA

View Full Version : Trying a gimmick

ripdog
07-23-2004, 04:40 AM
I recently started playing at the $0.25/$0.50 with $10 and decided that I would immediately move up one level as soon as I had doubled it. It happened very quickly at this level, and I turned $20 into $40 very quickly at $0.50/$1. At $1/$2 it took about a half hour longer to double to $80, and doubling that at $2/$4 took about the same time as the previous level. I sat down with $160 tonight at a $3/$6 table on UB and moved it up to $410 in 2 hours, taking consecutive $120 pots from the same person to push me $90 past my target. I'm going to start over from scratch again, taking a shot at $5/$10 if I make it through. I enjoyed myself while I was doing it, even though there were some bumps in the road on the way to success--I had planned on stopping at $3/$6 all along. While enjoying myself, I also found that having such specific goals really caused me to bear down and try to play well all of the time. The playing well all of the time part did not happen, but the process really made my mistakes stand out. Instead of taking a beat and shrugging it off, I was taking a setback. It's a bitch to be three fourths of the way to your goal, play one hand poorly and be looking up the mountain again. If anyone has $10 to spare from their online bankroll, I would recommend trying this. If you have holes in your game, you may find them this way. I think that mine was lack of focus. For the record, I played 6-handed tables for this experiment. I like the speed at which they move. I had a blast and feel like I learned something too. The next trick I need to learn is how to stay focused without resorting to cheesy gimmicks.

SevenStuda
07-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Assuming one was to try this gimmick and lose thier initial $10, how would they be more the wiser?

-Dimitri

playerfl
07-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Makes for a fun project and I did it starting with $5 at the .01/.02 tables, when I had $10.00 moved to .25/.50, etc. Ran it to $42 before I started losing and lost it all within about a week afterwards. Still, i got a heck of a lot of play out of my $5 and learned the meaning of variance.