PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 hand for analysis - AA cracked

Hopper39
07-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey all...wanted to know if I played this hand well even though the result was not quite how I hoped it to turn out.

3/6 10-handed. Hero is UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG folds, Hero raises, EP2 folds, MP1 calls (loose player), all fold to Hero.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Looks like a strong flop for me. Plenty of TP second-best hands for MP1. I decide to bet out since I've seen him make loose calls with TP-weak kicker before.
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

I call here with the intention of check-raising the turn. Even if the MP1 has a hand as strong as big trips or two pair, I'm drawing to plenty of outs, and I proabably have the best hand anyways. I don't suspect a flush, since I'd assume a hand that could call a EP raise would have an A K or Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif in it, and those are all accounted for on the board or in my hand currently.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls.

The A is obviously a great card for me because it makes AK and AQ hands for MP1 second best, and now puts me over trips. The flat call by MP1 further suggests that he doesn't hold 2 hearts.

River 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

WTF is going on here?! A flush?

MP1 shows 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6/images/graemlins/heart.gif to take down the pot.

Could I have played this hand better? Points of contention:
1) Flat calling the flop (MP1 is a known loose player, but I don't have notes about him bluff raising a lot - perhaps a 3 bet would have defined the flush better and saved a bet on the turn?)
2) Given my read of his hand (i.e. 95% sure it wasn't a flopped flush), was it weak to simply call the river, or with a similar read would anyone have 3-bet the river?

Any other part of my thought process anyone thinks was flawed?

Thoughts/comments are much appreciated.

MoreWineII
07-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Looks like you played it fine to me, just a bad result.

StellarWind
07-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the forum /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I suggest you study the format of a few other hands posts. Usually you get much better and less biased analysis if you do not tell what your opponent's hand was and whether you won or lost. Come back in a few hours or a day and post a response with the result of the deal and your opponent's hand if you saw it.

I would also avoid commenting on my thought process until I gave the results. If you don't influence your audience they will come up with original ideas.

Was this a live game or online?

I would 3-bet the flop planning to bet the turn. The problem with the turn checkraise is that he may have a hand like A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif and just take a free card.

Turn is fine. I agree with just calling the river raise. The 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif doesn't make anything. You've probably fallen into a trap and it is pretty obvious what that trap might be.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't suspect a flush, since I'd assume a hand that could call a EP raise would have an A K or Q in it, and those are all accounted for on the board or in my hand currently.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggest you stare really hard at that 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and burn it into your memory. This is what bad players coldcall with preflop all the time. I would assume as you did that a flopped flush was unlikely because ... there are not that many flushes in the world. But I would be absolutely aware that there was a real risk here.

arkady
07-23-2004, 12:11 PM
What exactly are you wondering here? You turned your set and still lost to a baby flush and it is frustrating, but there was nothing you could have done to change your outcome.

Here is a little rule that you can just go by and believe it is a great rule.

If you did not lose a lot of money when your AA or set (or BOTH!!) got cracked you did not play it strong enough.

bdk3clash
07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
He's got a few interesting decisions, like how to play the flop and, given how he played the flop and turn, whether to 3-bet the river.

I think I would have bet/3-bet the flop and led out on the turn.

Given how you played the flop and turn, I think I would have just called the river, too. But then again, I read the results so I'm totally biased.

arkady
07-23-2004, 12:25 PM
those little decisions in this case are practically meaningnless in the longrun.

lostinthought
07-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forums.. check out others posts to get an idea how the most effective way to post a hand. Get the hand converter for online hands.

Ok, if you haven't checked out twodimes.net, you should. At any rate, these stats may make you feel better.

Preflop:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=174552
pokenum -h ah as - 4h 6h
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ah 1361235 79.50 343107 20.04 7962 0.46 0.797
6h 4h 343107 20.04 1361235 79.50 7962 0.46 0.203

Flop:
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=413710
pokenum -h ah as - 4h 6h -- kh qh 5h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Kh Qh 5h
As Ah 312 31.52 678 68.48 0 0.00 0.315
6h 4h 678 68.48 312 31.52 0 0.00 0.685

Turn:
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=413715
pokenum -h ah as - 4h 6h -- kh qh 5h ad
Holdem Hi: 44 enumerated boards containing Ad Kh Qh 5h
As Ah 17 38.64 27 61.36 0 0.00 0.386
6h 4h 27 61.36 17 38.64 0 0.00 0.614

You obviously can't assume the worst here and release this hand. It didn't turn out as expected, but if you are playing online, be sure to pay attention to this player afterwards, and if he continues showing down poor hands, write a note like : 'routinely cold-calls with ex. 46s'

Hopper39
07-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks, I figured that it would be annoying to analyze my play if you guys didn't know my thought process (Ex: why just call the flop MP1 raise instead of 3-betting, etc.) Of course, my thought process is biased by what I know to be the hand outcome, so I understand why it'd be good to sit back for a bit. I'll remember to "hide" the results or just post them a little later next time.

Thanks for helping out on my first post!