PDA

View Full Version : SnG 1st Hand, was my thinking Good or flawed?

Sifmole
07-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">MP3 (t800)</font>
<font color="C00000">CO (t800)</font>
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t800)</font>
<font color="C00000">UTG+2 (t800)</font>
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, UTG+2 calls t45, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t45, CO calls t45, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t30, UTG calls t30.

Flop: (t280) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, UTG+2 calls t100, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t350</font>, CO calls t350, BB folds, UTG folds,

Here's my at-the-moment thinking:
The Pre-flop play with a bunch of callers, but no re-raise...

Now this betting...
1) I am thinking that Pre-flop pocket As or Ks would have raised again.
2) I see the raise over mine, but it isn't an all-in and then the call.

I'm thinking that the raiser has Ax, not trips. And I'm thinking the other guy may also have Ax or pocket pair less than Js.

3) 1st hand of the $10 SnG, if I've blown it -- okay, but I think this is a chance to make a killing.

So I go all-in...

<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t755 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 calls t655 (All-In), MP3 calls t405 (All-In), CO calls t405 (All-In). </font>

Turn: (t3300) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 4 all-in)</font>

River: (t3300) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 4 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3300
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3300 (t3300), between MP3, CO, Hero and UTG+2.</font>

So, too aggressive and horrible thinking? or a good play?

ECondreras
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
First, I limp with the 77 and call up to a 3x BB raise, but that's just me.

The object with mid to low pocket pairs is to flop a set and bingo - you did. Due to the flush draw and all the opponents, I would have bet the pot since I have a habbit of seeing monsters (I'd be putting everyone on 2 diamonds /images/graemlins/shocked.gif ). So my bet is 280-300, not 100. Since you bet 100 and got raised, I think you have to push it in. Just calling leaves you with a tough decision on the turn if a scare card hits. So shove 'em in now and eliminate that scenario.

In any event, even though I would have limped and bet bigger on the flop, I believe I would have ended up all in with callers as well. Folding, IMO, is not much of an option when you flop a set. If it is, then you might as well fold pocket pairs pre-flop.

ddubois
07-22-2004, 11:56 PM
If you are asking if it's OK to go all-in when you have flopped a set, the answer is a resounding yes.

You might have considered calling and then pushing on the turn when there is no diamond, but there is nothing wrong with the way you played it.

stupidsucker
07-23-2004, 12:05 AM
If you were up against a set of aces then they played the aces preflop terrible. with all those limpers/callers you just have to stick in a big re-raise to get some out.

You flopped a set, your all in was fine.

I would have played this hand differently, but the same results would have most likely happened. I flopped a set of 8's today and lost to a set of flopped T's.

It's poker ...(did some jerk make the flush?)

ECondreras
07-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Question

If you call and the turn brings a diamond, now what? I have a real problem when presented with this situation.

Jurollo
07-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I push on the flop, I put everyone else on diamonds, although someone may have AQ, or AJ. Here is my humble opinion on this hand and the= way I approach the $10's in general (as someone who plays tons of these, 1000+ a month), people L-O-V-E flush draws in the $10's and many times they will call All-Ins with them or chase bets to the river, so my simple thought is to get your money in there before the flush comes and make it the most expensive you can on them, granted this may increase your 8th, 9th or 10th place finishes in the long haul is is extremely +EV because you are over 65/35 to win the hand, so out of 100 you will have a huge stack early and be able to cruise to the money 65 times and be out 35 (approx). And with 3rd being +$9 it works out to be profitable in the long run if a big stack early can all but guarantee a final 3 for you.

pokerstudAA
07-23-2004, 12:38 AM
I definately would have limped in from that early position with the 7's - at least it would give you an idea of any raise or strong hand coming from behind. I would have been looking for one of those post flop raises to have the A+(K,Q,J) of diamonds. Definately would have stuck as many chips in the pot with the set. If someone had the AA they certainly played it wrong - so I would not be as concerned about that one. You may also run into the lower set which would be $ in the bank.

tech
07-23-2004, 01:25 AM
I push here every time and expect to win.

ChessMan
07-23-2004, 01:34 AM
I agree with making the big bet on the flop because of the flush draw. When there is no straight or flush draw, then I'd just bet 1/2 to full pot in the hopes of squeezing a little more cash out of someone holding Ax.

I would only fold a low/mid set if something like JT7 suited is flopped and people all over the place are shoving their chips in the middle. It has to be very clearly something better than top pair that someone is betting on for me to get concerned.

SeppDeitrich
07-23-2004, 04:51 AM
you should go all in here exactly 100% of the time there is no way you can put anyone on aa. 2 pair, top pair and flush draw are likely calling hands. i think you lost to a flush, big deal your hand was huge, you moved in got action and lost move on to the next game where you can play all your hands well again.

SeppDeitrich
07-23-2004, 04:59 AM
on some boards i hope you would fold a set, but not this one.

eg: from a sng i just finished (which i won)

i had 88 otb and limped behind about 5 limpers: flop 89t, 2 clubs, action comes to me bet, i raise the pot, then ep min re raises me. I called that one and so did one other player, but when the board failed to pair on the turn i folded to ep's lead all in. the other player called, ep of course had the nuts.

SeppDeitrich
07-23-2004, 05:19 AM
it is even better than this because:
A) they won't always have a flush draw
and B) they won't always be stupid enough to call with their draw

of course you're going all in here

Sifmole
07-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi all,
Final Pot: t3300
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3300 (t3300), between MP3, CO, Hero and UTG+2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t3300).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7s 7c (three of a kind, sevens).
UTG+2 shows Ac Kc (one pair, aces).
MP3 shows 6c Ad (one pair, aces).
CO shows 5s 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins t3300. </font>

Now -- a couple people thought I posted because I was upset at getting beat; not at all. Instead the problem was, I nailed the hand and proceeded to cruise into a 1st place finish. Later, I was reviewing my play and was thinking whether I was viewing this hand in a "results" oriented manner.

I have been trying to focus on opponent play and reading the board, and I wanted to know how others saw my play and read here.

Thanks all for the input.

Michael Davis
07-23-2004, 10:21 PM
You are thinking way too hard about this. There is specifically one hand that beats you and it is highly unlikely to be out. Stick your stack hard.

-Michael