PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the Stop-n-go

Nottom
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Pre-flop and flop are pretty uninteresting here, so I'm really just wondering about the big streets.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls,

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

Dominic
07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
With that flop, his stop-and-go smells like Q-blank and now he thinks his hand is the best...so he bets out on the turn...your raise confuses him, so he just calls and then checks the river in case you either hit your set on the river or in case you already had a set on the flop.

Either way, I think he's got a Q.

stripsqueez
07-23-2004, 10:00 AM
i know the stop and go is a decent plan because i normally dont like it when guys do it to me

the obvious question is what was the point of raising the turn if you were going to check a blank on the river ?

i like to raise the turn a lot and i could easily have played this hand the same way - i suppose an 8 might play this way or a pocket pair but its technically hard to justify the turn raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Nottom
07-23-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the obvious question is what was the point of raising the turn if you were going to check a blank on the river ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this is a pretty standard play for me in the full games. I want to charges any bozos betting here again with a worse hand yet showdown cheaply against a Q. In this particular game I think I would have likely bet again had the 8 not paired.

Nottom
07-23-2004, 11:52 AM
He had some diamonds and mhig.

Zele
07-23-2004, 12:29 PM
I definitely raise the turn, and I also would bet the river. Maybe I'm fixated on what I've just been reading in SSH (footnote to p.167), but if he had an overpair to a Q, or especially if he had spiked a Q, he'd probably c/r you. So I'd go ahead and bet the river, and unless he's been given a previous reason to take a shot at you, fold to a river c/r. Sure, the turn bet was most likely a semi-bluff, but it's more likely to be flopped pair protection than a hand that can beat you.

Nottom
07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, the turn bet was most likely a semi-bluff, but it's more likely to be flopped pair protection than a hand that can beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is betting a pair, isn'r his most likely holding an 8?

Zele
07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Whoops. I was thinking the river was a blank. Yes, given the 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I'd check thru.

Sorry.