PDA

View Full Version : The Inevitable Downswing

tj00
07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
After three good to stellar days at 5/10 6 Max, I had my first losing day /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I picked a hand to post with a tactic I have been trying in these games. I bet the flop with a made hand, generally a good hand but not a monster, then go for the turn checkraise. I like it most when headsup against an aggressive opponent. Nothing revolutionary, but it seems to confuse some opponents. I think they call down after being checkraised, where the might have folded if I just bet the turn. I am not 100% certain but I think they call to see what hand I am playing this way. Other benefits, keep opponent from autobetting your turn checks, helps turn CR semi-bluffs be more effective. Detriments, giving opponent a free card, getting 3 bet by a better hand. Sorry if this too longwinded.

Reads:

SB - No Reads
UTG - LAG in every sense of the expression
MP Poster - First time I have seen him
Button - Loose (60% Flops), Aggressive (20% PFR), Not afraid to splash around post flop, but not out of control.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, MP (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Anyone saucy enough to raise it up here? UTG and button definatly raise if they have me beat. Is this an easy raise with ATs?

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Do I have to call here?

Final Pot: 13 BB

stripsqueez
07-22-2004, 08:42 PM
i think you have to call

pre-flop is close to a raise in my view - A10s everytime

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

tj00
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I Called on the river.

Button had A6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Blah

rory
07-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't really understand what the button could have here other than A6 or a bluff, probably a couple clubs. The river raise is very confusing-- if he had a big hand on the turn, why not 3 bet on the turn in case you had a club draw. I think you will be shown A6 a lot but a bluff enough times to make a call worth it.

-rory

tripdad
07-23-2004, 06:01 PM
he might be getting squirrely with you after you broke his heart on the turn, but since he is a poster, i would have put him on 2-pair. then again, i probably would have called just in case he's just getting squirrely.

cheers!