PDA

View Full Version : Best music video of all time!

glen
07-22-2004, 06:21 PM
One of the best imo would be the Chemical Brothers' Elektrobank. I only saw it a few times and it was short-lived on mtv, but it was excellent. . . .Has anyone ever seen it or have new suggestions?

ThePopinjay
07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
All The Small Things - Blink-182

pretty f-ing funny at the time

jwvdcw
07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Some memorable ones imo:

"Tonight,tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins
"Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys
"Thriller" by Michael Jackson
"Paranoid Android" by Radiohead

Diplomat
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Renegades of Funk by RATM, and it's not close.

-Diplomat

Rushmore
07-22-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the best imo would be the Chemical Brothers' Elektrobank. I only saw it a few times and it was short-lived on mtv, but it was excellent. . . .Has anyone ever seen it or have new suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, indeed, a great video.

Others of note:

Paranoid Android (Radiohead)
Hello Skinny (The Residents)
Whip It (Devo)
Prison Sex (Tool)
Ashes To Ashes (David Bowie)

These last two still sort of frighten me.

Glenn
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Metallica - One
Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
GN'R - Don't Cry/November Rain/Estranged (up until the dolphin)

jwvdcw
07-22-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Metallica - One
Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
GN'R - Don't Cry/November Rain/Estranged (up until the dolphin)

[/ QUOTE ]

One: good but nothing great
Smack my bitch up: amazing. great choice
GNR: horrible. Way too long and overdone.

Chah Ngo
07-22-2004, 10:07 PM
"Once in a Lifetime"
- Talking Heads

Rushmore
07-22-2004, 10:18 PM
nm

Oski
07-22-2004, 10:24 PM
That one by Beck was cool - Where its at.

Chah Ngo
07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I recommend you drop what you are doing and run to the store and buy "Odelay" right now. If you have any money left, buy "Mutations".

1800GAMBLER
07-22-2004, 10:35 PM
That's been my favourite video for ages. I've searched and searched the 'net for places i could download it with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Add Teardrop by Massive Attack too. Star Guitar - Chemical Brothers too.

edit: they just released a dvd with all the singles on /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

razor
07-22-2004, 10:55 PM
"Hurt" Johnny Cash

rkaufman
07-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I don't care for music videos. Do you see why?

Woody

SkippingGoat
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Pearl Jam: Do the Evolution

Alobar
07-23-2004, 02:13 AM
as far as artistry goes, any Tool video is way out in front of anything else ever done, and its not even close. Unfortunately, the music video isnt a tool for artists, its just a vehicle to give young boys a boner or to make stupid girls pee on the floor. So in that light I'm going with that whitesnake video with tawny kitain in it....mmmm mmm mmmmm!!

Losing all
07-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Videos do suck, but, Prison sex was awesome (any other tool video I've seen for that matter) As far as boner vid's Tawney's is way up there, how about Cherry Pie? I understand that the song/band were worse than dental surgery, but that chick was hot as hell!

Rick Nebiolo
07-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Years ago The Replacements were forced (or something to that effect) to do a video by their record company and doing videos apparently wasn't their idea of what rock was supposed to be about. So they simply had a still shot of somebody (probably a band member, maybe Paul Westerburg) slightly off camera sitting on a couch. All you could see was his arm as he smoked a cigarette. In the background was a speaker with the cover off so you could see the woofer moving as it played one of their songs. That was it ;-)

I treasure the fact that I grew up to rock without videos, and have my own images of what a song may be trying to illicit.

~ Rick

nicky g
07-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Radiohead's "Just" is also pretty good. That White Stripes one by Sofia Coppola is nay bad - Kate Moss poledancing usually does it for me. Heart-shaped Box by Nirvana's pretty strong.

Schneids
07-23-2004, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All The Small Things - Blink-182

pretty f-ing funny at the time

[/ QUOTE ]

"First Date" had a great video too.

kenewbie
07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Any and all videos directed by chris cunningham

k

rtrombone
07-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Come on now. "Put 'Em on the Glass," Sir Mix-a-Lot. MTV can't even show the very best videos.

James Boston
07-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Whitesnake - "Here I Go Again"
Tawny Kitaen on the hood of that car....nice.

Martin Aigner
07-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer"
Genesis "I canīt dance"
Alanis Morisette "Ironic"

Bubbagump
07-23-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't watch a lot of Music Videos but The video that Johnny Cash did last year for his cover of Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' was incredible.

I think MTV aired it twice. So if you missed it, you missed something truly great. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bubbagump

ArchAngel71857
07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
chris Isaac's Wicked Game.

-AA

razor
07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
There is a version of the "The Man Comes Around" CD that has a bonus DVD of the "Hurt" video. Although I already had a copy of the CD when I found about the CD w/bonus DVD version I ordered it immediately... the "Hurt" video is just too f'in' good to not have a copy of.

"Wicked Game" is probably the 2nd best video of all time, but Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is the 1st and it's not close.

Six_of_One
07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
"Jeremy" by Pearl Jam

Sloats
07-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Wasted Years. Iron Maiden

jagoff
07-23-2004, 12:12 PM
The one with Christopher Walken dancing all over the place was cool.

"After the Rain" Nelson
"Land of Confusion" Genesis
"Black and White" Michael Jackson

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-23-2004, 12:24 PM
I like Radiohead's Paranoid Android and Just. WTF does that guy say at the end? Also, I'm not much of a fan of the song, but love the part at the end of Radiohead, UNKLE & DJ Shadow's Rabbit In Your Headlights when the guy gets hit by the car and the car is totally destroyed. Very cool. I also think Coldplay's Trouble is a very cool and well-done video. Of course I also have to mention Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins, but I think my favorite video of theirs (and one of my favorite songs) is Rocket.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I am kinda partial to "whip it" by Devo.

al

wayabvpar
07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer"

[/ QUOTE ]

AARRGGH! That video (and the song) makes me stabby.

This debate is pointless- Billy Idol's 'Cradle of Love' is the clear winner. It had the hottest woman ever to grace a television screen.

I would put 'Sabotage' 2nd, with 'Land of Confusion' running third.

M2d
07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
two videos that I liked whose songs I pretty much hated were Take on Me and Opposites Attract. I thought they were cool, but the songs were just blech.

I also liked She Blinded Me With Science.

Clarkmeister
07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
You are all nuts. This category begins and ends with Thriller.

Aces McGee
07-23-2004, 01:29 PM
"Epic" by Faith No More. The one where the piano explodes after playing itself, not the p*ssy edited version.

I also like all the Metallica videos, for the same reasons I listen to Danzig.

Honorable mention goes to the Aerosmith videos with Alicia Silverstone, though that might just be a product of the fact that I was of a rather, shall we say, "tender" age when they came out.

And I give a major salute to rtrombone, who mentioned Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Put Em On Da Glass." Sheer genius.

-McGee

Boylermaker
07-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

charlie_t_jr
07-23-2004, 02:03 PM
All though time hasn't been kind to her.

Philuva
07-23-2004, 02:07 PM
By the Beasties and it is not close.

Uston
07-23-2004, 02:08 PM
"After the Rain" Nelson

Hilarious. Dude, you have just become my favorite poster ever.

jagoff
07-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks!

Those chicks were hot!

bernie
07-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Yknow, as much as i can't stand MJ and think he's out of his mind. He did have some pretty damn cool videos.

I got pretty burned out on Thriller playing every hour. Go Vincent Price! My fave that comes to mind of his was smooooth criminal.

Of course, I'm also very partial to the David Lee Roth series. But i also like fun in the sun with hot, stacked babes.

Kudos to tom petty's runnin' down a dream also.

b

jagoff
07-23-2004, 04:46 PM
I was going to edit my previous post but time expired so here goes...

If you guys don't remember how cool "after the rain" was by Nelson then you had better recognize. The kid in the trailer park whose dad is yelling at him and all he can do is slink back to his room covered in Nelson posters and listen to their crappy ass music. Then they show the kid at the concert rocking out while those two Nelson vixens are doing god only knows what. Then the dad dies when he gets run over by a runaway combine and the kid finds out that there was a huge life insurance policy on his dad. Oh wait...I think the dad ass raped him instead of dying at the end.

chesspain
07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Take On Me--Ah Ha.

Josh W
07-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Unless, of course, you consider "Who's on First?" The Colgate production a music video, of course. Right? RIGHT????

namknils
07-23-2004, 05:49 PM
I remember when Britney Spears came out with "Hit me Baby One More Time" I couldn't get enough of that video. I was in high school at the time.

Clarkmeister
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless, of course, you consider "Who's on First?" The Colgate production a music video, of course. Right? RIGHT????

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played.

glen
07-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I think this video is so overrated. First of all, they made it into a short film that is goofy. Michael walks his date home, and the next thing you know, zombies are doing a stupid dance where they put their hands on their knees and march around in circles. . . Yeah, it was good at the time, but is it a classic? Nah. . . .

glen
07-23-2004, 10:29 PM
"That's been my favourite video for ages. I've searched and searched the 'net for places i could download it with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?"

I have it in the queue at winmx, but it never started downloading, so maybe it won't come through. Teardrop is an awesome song. but i have never seen the video. Can that one be downloaded?

Paul2432
07-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Showing my age here.

ZZ Top has some great videos. "Legs" and "Sharped Dressed Man"

Another noteworthy video is "This Notes for You" by Neil Young, which was both banned and won video of the year.

Finally, "don't come around here no more" by tom petty is great.

Paul

kyro
07-24-2004, 02:23 AM
"Criminal" Fiona Apple

uh huh

MicroBob
07-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Hum "Stars"
Soul Coughing "Screenwriter's Blues"
The Pixies "Here Comes Your Man"
The Smiths "How Soon is Now"
Fat Boy Slim (the one with his little dancing troupe with all the confused onlookers somewhere in vegas i think...hilarious)
Cake "Short Skirt - Long Jacket" (i prefer the L.A. version)
Weezer "Buddy Holly" (although i don't really like it that much anymore)
Weird Al Yankovic "Amish Paradise"
Weird Al Yankovic "Smells Like Nirvana"

all i can think of for now. i know i'm forgetting a couple.

HiatusOver
07-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Glen you have no clue, Clarkmeister is obviously right...Thriller wins in a landslide. "yea it was great at the time, but a classic, nah." You say that Thriller is not a classic video? I mean that makes no sense! I cannot get over this statement.

Buddy Holly was a good honorable mention

Nemesis
07-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Britney Spears "Toxic" She's hot as hell, and it's a damn cool video too... the music is ok.

dsm
07-25-2004, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any Tool video...

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Sober Video" is very cool, had that breakthrough quality at the time. (Takes a few minutes to download)

The Award Winning "Sober Video," by Tool (1993) RealPlayer (http://toolshed.down.net/video/real/sober.ram)

Billboard Video Awards for "Best Video" and for "Best New Artist."

-dsm

dsm
07-25-2004, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Take On Me, by a-ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

a-ha's "Take Me On" video definitely had a breakthrough quality to it at the time. At the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards a-ha won in five different categories:

Best Concept Video

Best Special Effects

Best Direction

Best New Artists

Viewer's Choice

-dsm

scotnt73
07-27-2004, 02:46 PM
nirvana smells like teen spirit...its played out now but i will never forget the first time i saw those tatood and pierced cheerleaders /images/graemlins/wink.gif