PDA

View Full Version : KQs whiffs, fired all barrells anyways.

SofaCoach
07-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I was unsure on every street. Was this good, bad, or ugly?
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds.

River: (9.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

I bet the river because I figured that was the only possible way to win the hand at that point. Hoping UTG was on a draw or overcards.

dfscott
07-22-2004, 04:15 PM
I don't really like this, but I've been off on my hand critiques lately, so you should take it with a grain of salt. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the check-raise on the flop might've earned you the free turn card, even out of position. I'd take it if you can and check the river if you don't improve. If he's stuck around this long, I don't think firing again on the river will get him to fold.

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Not bad- he raised preflop - and slowed down a bit by the turn. If he had AK or AQ - might put you on something that he missed. Without knowing to much about the player - I guess he folded about 50/50 on the river

cardcounter0
07-22-2004, 04:54 PM
UTG calling the check-raise flop bet (you might have got a free card on the turn, or got some information with a check), the turn bet didn't phrase him -- on the river, I would think you need to realize you actually have nothing and slow down.

But don't listen to me, last night I lost $70 playing $2/$4 on Pacific Poker of all places. I am barely able to hold my head up with the shame of it all.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cold_cash
07-22-2004, 05:03 PM
I would only bet this river if I was going to call a bet anyway.

bennyk
07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
The only reason this is tricky is because you're out of position.

Obviously if you have a good reason to believe both will fold to your turn bet, bet it out - it's possible the 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif improved someone's hand, but if it did, you'll probably hear about it. So this might be a good time to bet the turn hoping they were trapped on the flop and drawing. Faced with a raise here, you'll probably have to call and hope to hit your flush.

Heads up, it may be ok to check the river, and decide whether to call, depending on the UTG. You can only beat him if he's bluffing his own busted flush.

This happens to me a lot; it's hard to tell if, and when, you should back down. It's always easy to think, "he might fold, so i should keep firing." I think the truth is that if he's going to fold even once in a while (statistical term) it's worth pushing.

It's easier if you're in position.
bk

James Boston
07-22-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would only bet this river if I was going to call a bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with this, but in this specific hand he needs to give a possible missed draw a reason to fold.

charlie_t_jr
07-22-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But don't listen to me, last night I lost $70 playing $2/$4 on Pacific Poker of all places. I am barely able to hold my head up with the shame of it all.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As I'm sure you know, you're just as likely to have a huge win, as a big loss playing against those players. When the bad players run good, its usually tough on us.

Hang in there.

cardcounter0
07-22-2004, 09:21 PM
I just threw that in. $70 at LAG $2/$4 isn't even enough to really call a swing.

It's not like getting pounded hand after hand max bet at +6 halfway thru a shoe.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif