PDA

View Full Version : 96o on the button

03-28-2002, 01:03 AM
i have 96o on the button, 9 handed 30-60 and i open raise against a couple weak blinds. the sb thinks he's pretty good and he calls. the bb folds.

the flop is T88 two hearts. check, i bet, he calls.

the turn is the 4d. he calls my bet again.

the river is a 9c. he checks and i bet.

comments?

03-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Even weak blinds get hands that are better than 9-6.

03-28-2002, 02:21 AM

03-28-2002, 03:36 AM
preflop i think i can get the best of it by either winning the blinds flat out or playing well enough post flop to win the most or lose the least. 60 to win 50 makes this a fairly lucrative game to attempt blind steals in btw provided the blinds youre against arent overly loose in which case you should have perhaps some semblance of a hand.

on the flop when he checks to me my bet with my gutshot seems automatic. if he checkraises me then im given the clue that he plans to win this pot and that i need a hand (something im lacking here of course). many players at this level where i play are quite passive though and rarely tricky. his call here worries me a little but he could have many hands that i have several outs against or he could just have overcards of some sort.

on the turn no overcard comes so i want to put the pressure on if he has a naked A or K or something. also betting here with nothing is worthwhile for those times you go to steal and actually flop something and want to get paid off. nevertheless i have absolutely no hand here so this is getting kind of sketchy and debatable.

on the river i hit what i figure is my second best card so a bet seems automatic here. i wouldve heard from an 8 or T on the turn for sure as there's no way this guy is tricky enough to wait for the river, although a good player would know to do so against me because many times i bluff all the way to the end.

the sb called and showed 77 so my hand is good. he complains about how i hit a 3 outer because a 7 wouldve filled him up. of course a T was an out for me here as well, but i didnt mention that as he was steaming along nicely by then without my help.

would love to hear analysis of where my thinking on this hand is flawed or accurate or somewhere in between.

03-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Its hard to know if these marginal plays are profitable, because so much is player dependent. The only way to know for sure would be to get in a vacuum and repeat the situation and infinite number of times.........or you ask Sklansky - if he is willing to come down from the mountain.

03-28-2002, 04:34 AM
"i have 96o on the button, 9 handed 30-60 and i open raise against a couple weak blinds."

I would almost always fold this hand. The exception is if the blinds are both very tight and rarely defend. There are very few players like this.

"the sb thinks he's pretty good and he calls. the bb folds."

If the small blind was pretty good he would probably either reraise or fold.

"the flop is T88 two hearts. check, i bet, he calls."

That's fine.

"the turn is the 4d. he calls my bet again."

okay

"the river is a 9c. he checks and i bet."

Your bet is correct if you think that he will frequently call with weaker hands. That's probably the case here since with that board an ace might pay you off.

03-28-2002, 10:57 AM
i hate the river bet.

03-28-2002, 11:01 AM
"the river is a 9c. he checks and i bet."

Your bet is correct if you think that he will frequently call with weaker hands. That's probably the case here since with that board an ace might pay you off.

i didn't figure SB for a payoff hand (Ace or a small-middle pair) because he didn't re-raise pre-flop. now i see that i confused "sb thinks he was good" as opposed to mike thinking the sb is good.

03-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Your posts are entertaining, to say the least.

Keep it up--I'm learning a lot.

03-28-2002, 04:19 PM
Many good players would have...

*3-bet you preflop,

*Check raised the flop, and

*Led out on the turn, likely picking up the pot.

Good thing your opponent sucks.