PDA

View Full Version : Poker playing criminals!

The_Tracker
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
It seems I keep seeing more and more stories pop up regarding the legality of playing poker. Just recently there was a raid at a bowling alley in minn. at a tourney where no money was awarded or exchanged.
It's a crime to play cards to try and win a T-shirt or keychain.(!?)
There is also a bill I believe that would ban online gaming and make such cases prosecutable.(sp?)
Does anyone else see this whole thing coming to a crashing halt soon? As the popularity continues to grow, so do the complaints of Joe Public about people playing cards in places like bars and bowling alleys.
As is typical, I believe the US government will have to step in and tell us how to live life and protect us from ourselves. Cause lord knows the saftey and morality of the free world hangs in the balance.
It really boils down to all the bible thumpers and tight a$$ed conservatives. Let your ridiculous ideas of a wonderful sin free eutopia go, and realize that this is the 21st century and things have changed. People should be able to make decisions for themselves as to what they choose to do with their money, body, time etc. As long as your actions are not directly harming other people, then what is the problem?
We need to get off this moral high ground.

Oh yea, and get Bush the hell out of the white house!

Malarky
07-22-2004, 01:27 PM
There will still be cardrooms

elwoodblues
07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
The hard-core players are going to find a way to play online regardless of what the feds do. The problem is with the casual player who decides on a whim to try it. They probably won't play if there is too much red tape to go through to get money into a site.

[ QUOTE ]
It really boils down to all the bible thumpers and tight a$$ed conservatives

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly part of it, but there's probably an equal number of dems who support gambling regulation.

scotnt73
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
the bad news:it could go away/live poker would get boring if i tried to do it as a job day in and out

the good news:ive gained enough experience online to do well live-i play 2/4 and 3/6 live. i played 10/20 live the otherday for the first time and was shocked at how bad those guys are live. i walked away very happy indeed. i wouldnt want to play ring poker live all day though that would get boring fast. at least online i can hang out with people and watch tv.