PDA

View Full Version : Best Stadium

kerssens
07-22-2004, 12:12 PM
from any sport.....maybe I'm a little biased in Seattle here but Safeco Field is my vote

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-22-2004, 12:16 PM
I've been to 21 major-league ballparks (not SafeCo, though), and so far it's That little ballpark on McCovey Cove in SF (whatever they're calling it this week), with a slight lead over The Jake and OPACY.

Of course, if what you're really concerned about is ease of getting a beer, go to Busch Stadium. I think they have about 1 beer vendor for every 10 fans or so, and they make you feel like you really should be there primarily to drink beer (which would be fine if they sold better beer).

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 12:17 PM
it has to be "da Safe".... hands down.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
yeah, I was just at Busch in June, everywhere you turn is "Bud, Bud Light"...but overall I thought the stadium was just out-dated (I guess it is old), I guess they're gonna build a new one soon.....one that I want to see is PNC in Pittsburgh, here that's right up there with Safeco

ericd
07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Camden Yards is wonderful. If someone who has been there knows of a better one, I'd like to know so I can make plans.

Gamblor
07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Maple Leaf Gardens. Tucked into a city block in the middle of downtown Toronto, there's no stadium on earth with the same ghosts and legends, with the possible exception of the Montreal Forum (but Habs fans can bite me).

Worst stadium ever: Skydome. The futuristic ballpark trend died about 20 minutes after it opened, just long enough for the retractable roof to close shut on its trendiness.

namknils
07-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, I'm biased too, and can't choose any stadium anywhere over Wrigley Field, I love it.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
One of the reasons I like playing with the Cubs when I get a new video game

David Steele
07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
I have been to both.

Safeco is close but I like McCovey Cove park just a little better.

D.

namknils
07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Anybody want to throw out a football stadium? We've gone over the baseball thing quite a bit.

I can't really comment on football stadiums because the only two games I've been to in my life were both when the Bears were playing in Urbana-Champaign.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Seahawks Stadium (Qwest Field or whatever) is a great place to watch a game, its the only football stadium I've been to so I'm don't have anything else to compare it to....they did a great job with the Kingdome demolition putting two beautiful stadiums in its place

SossMan
07-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Dodger stadium...and its not close.

Okay, I've only been to 6 baseball parks, so maybe i'm a little biased.

Oski
07-22-2004, 01:16 PM
I have not been around much, so my vote is Dodger Stadium - the old girl still is quite a nice place to see a ball game.

Anyway, I was listening to a baseball show on ESPN and the consensus form MLB players is PNC in Pittsburgh.

Of course, there is more to it than just the facility. I put a vote in for Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, especially since it has gone back to grass.

Husky Stadium is also the nuts.

Arrowhead for pro football is supposed to be phenominal with the great Bar-B-Que tailgating.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Worst stadium ever: Skydome.

Shea's pretty bad, too, and I know this'll spark some debate, but Fenway is easily among the 5 worst.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Everybody who has been to Arrowhead raves, its something I'd like to check out someday, interesting to see Husky Stadium on your list, you come up here for the Cal games? Its all atmosphere to me because its not the most comfortable place to watch a game but the intensity of the fans at a Husky game isn't even closely matched by the pros here....Seattle is a Husky town and probably always will be

daryn
07-22-2004, 01:30 PM
the best stadium is clearly the one where i live, you know the one, XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX. it's the best stadium in the city of XXXXXXXX. i'm not just saying that because i'm from XXXXXXXX, it's really the best one out there.

Oski
07-22-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody who has been to Arrowhead raves, its something I'd like to check out someday, interesting to see Husky Stadium on your list, you come up here for the Cal games? Its all atmosphere to me because its not the most comfortable place to watch a game but the intensity of the fans at a Husky game isn't even closely matched by the pros here....Seattle is a Husky town and probably always will be

[/ QUOTE ]

Husky stadium: great football fans, and that view of the bay is hard to beat. Yes, I have been there a few times for the Cal game ... call me a masochist, I'm more of an optimist.

kerssens
07-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks XXXXX, nice post

Oski
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the best stadium is clearly the one where i live, you know the one, XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX. it's the best stadium in the city of XXXXXXXX. i'm not just saying that because i'm from XXXXXXXX, it's really the best one out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your point, but it does not seem there are a bunch of homers (not, Homers) on this thread.

gonores
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Football: Lambeau Field, though Ford Field in Detroit was pretty rockin.

Baseball: A little light on experience here, but I'd have to say Wrigley by a mile

College Football: University of Michigan Field - I haven't visited a single stadium in the SEC, but I'd imagine they are the only stadiums that could come close. Camp Randall, The Horseshoe, Happy Valley, nothing comes close in the Big 10.

Overall: Wrigley by a nose over Lambeau

Gamblor
07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
College Football: University of Michigan Field

The big house is awesome.

ArchAngel71857
07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
The Coliseum in Nashville is a great place to watch a football game.

I like Wrigley Field and the Jake.

Camden yards is great but some of the seats are pointed in the wrong direction.

University of Tennessee's stadium is aight. there is too much orange. Too many idiots. Not enough Big Ten football.

-AA

Philuva
07-22-2004, 04:18 PM
I love that T-Shirt from the Onion:

"The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area."

bugstud
07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Managed to be in Arrowhead and Kaufmann Stadium in KC...I liked the stadiums more than Soldier Field and Wrigley as far as everything but atmosphere. Kaufmann was an amazing experience all around IMO.

offTopic
07-22-2004, 06:38 PM
SBC/Pac Bell/whatever

If you sit close, bring a glove.

miamikid
07-22-2004, 06:42 PM
The Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida is the best place to experience a football game. It's old and old, with seats with no backings,... But it is the loudest rockin stadium for big games and maintains a real nice atmosphere. So fun to go to all the big UM Hurricane games from 80s on.. against Nebraska, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Floirda State, Penn State. Lot of history. And it receives my vote.

Phat Mack
07-22-2004, 06:58 PM
It's defunct, but I think the Astro-Dome was the worst sports venue ever created. Aptly compared to "the business end of a roll-on deoderant," I almost never enjoyed an event there--the two possible exceptions being the expulsion of the Marching Owl Band, and Niekro's no-hitter.

Oski
07-22-2004, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's defunct, but I think the Astro-Dome was the worst sports venue ever created. Aptly compared to "the business end of a roll-on deoderant," I almost never enjoyed an event there--the two possible exceptions being the expulsion of the Marching Owl Band, and Niekro's no-hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the filming of "Bad News Bears II: Breaking Training"? Let them play! ... Let them play!

That 14-inning playoff game w/ the Mets no so bad, either.

Phat Mack
07-22-2004, 07:23 PM
That 14-inning playoff game w/ the Mets no so bad, either.

Great game, but I saw it on TV in a pool hall in Austin. (I still think pulling Morgan was a mistake. He was a gamer, and his presence in the line-up might have made a difference.)

superleeds
07-22-2004, 07:23 PM
n/m

stripsqueez
07-22-2004, 08:53 PM
the G

simply awesome

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

arx
07-23-2004, 04:22 AM
La Bombonera (Buenos Aires), Wembley (London), Camp Nou (Barcelona)

jdl22
07-23-2004, 04:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you can't be serious. The setting is nice, right on the lake and the UW campus is beautiful but the stadium itself completely sucks.

jdl22
07-23-2004, 04:59 AM
I'm only listing stadiums I've been in:

Best college football: Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ (yeah they play some NFL there too)

worst college football: Reser Stadium in Corvallis, OR and the difference between Reser stadium in this category and the second worst is like the difference between 27o and AA.

Best pro football: Heinz Field in Pittsburgh - great view of the river and good view of game. Imagine the atmosphere for Steeler games must be good, I've only seen Pitt play there

Best Soccer - hmm this is close. Probably Anfield in Liverpool. I also like the Bernabeu in Madrid. For smaller stadiums Britannia stadium in Stoke is pretty nice. As for the stadium of my beloved Sevilla - Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, it's not really that great, quite plain and drab but none the less my favorite stadium in the world to be in.

Stadiums I haven't been in but I like from TV:

PNC park (I have actually walked past it) - the view of the rivers and downtown is quite nice.

Pac Bell park - I love the Giants, hopefully soon I can watch them play there. The stadium looks quite impressive and it's not far away from a devilish 2+2er's place.

The big house in Michigan looks quite impressive. I have an auntie from Michigan and hence am somewhat of a Michigan fan. Looks like a great place to watch a game.

Oski
07-23-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you can't be serious. The setting is nice, right on the lake and the UW campus is beautiful but the stadium itself completely sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although most of the vote is atmosphere, it still counts ... and stop calling me Shirly.

esknights
07-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I'd have to say PNC Park in Pittsburgh is the nicest for baseball. The Phillies new park where I am from is okay. Camden Yards and Wrigley are nice, but Wrigley is cold as sht in the shade with the wind blowing in May.

Toro
07-23-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst stadium ever: Skydome.

Shea's pretty bad, too, and I know this'll spark some debate, but Fenway is easily among the 5 worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree totally about Fenway. Can't understand the fascination of some. Sadly, it looks like the new ownership is planning on staying.

Slacker13
07-24-2004, 12:14 AM
My favorite is Lambeau field. 30 below zero and they party like it's 80 degrees out.