PDA

View Full Version : The Hot Seat...

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 11:58 AM
is the lamest thing ESPN has come up with in the entirety of its existence. The interaction is so contrived, the questions are stupid, the interviewer just plain sucks. It's painful to watch. I'd rather watch the entire season of Playmakers followed by the last 5 years of national spelling bee than one segment of The Budweiser Hot Seat even with the best guest they've ever had.

Am I alone here, or is ESPN going down the shitter? Around The Horn and PTI are great, but the rest of their non-WSOP programming is sucking the big suck lately (Baseball tonight is the exception - regardless of your feelings about baseball, Gammons and Reynolds are brilliant and the rest are top-notch). They've lost Rich Eisen, you hardly see any of their other veteran great anchors (Stuart Scott is veteran, but far from great - he's a big part of the problem), and all the new ones blow chunks. They all belong on ESPNews (or FSN).

kerssens
07-22-2004, 12:14 PM
I think Heresay is pretty damn lame too

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 12:16 PM
you know, the main problem with the hot seat is they interview athletes.

ESPN is not going down the shitter either. Sportscenter, BBTN, Outside the Lines, PTI, are all excellent shows.

WC64
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I actually like The Hot Seat although I have to agree some of them are pretty lame

PTI is just awesome.

Philuva
07-22-2004, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather watch the entire season of Playmakers followed by the last 5 years of national spelling bee than one segment of The Budweiser Hot Seat even with the best guest they've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you called it The Budweiser Hot Seat.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather watch the entire season of Playmakers followed by the last 5 years of national spelling bee than one segment of The Budweiser Hot Seat even with the best guest they've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you called it The Budweiser Hot Seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you believe they did? It makes it even worse! They're selling out, man!

kerssens
07-22-2004, 02:16 PM
your little picture cracks me up everytime I see it

Ulysses
07-22-2004, 03:19 PM
I can't even keep the names of all these gimmicky segments straight anymore. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm talking about Hot Seat or something else, but I like the one where the two athletes have to play the game where they have to describe some sports thing w/out using certain words. It's always the greatest when they have two football players on and one is pretty smart and the other is a complete idiot.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 03:55 PM
that would be heresay, which totally sucks.

jdl22
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I think that they felt the need to jazz SC up a bit after the success of the Best Damn Sports Show. It seems like about the time that show got popular they added bits like the hot seat and fact or fiction. Don't forget about the Coors Light six pack of questions.

As for the sports casters they are pretty much all lame. Stuart Scott was popular and his unfortunate popularity has spawned a bunch of people with super annoying catch phrases. I like Neil Everett, but other than him all the new ones are terrible. I much prefer the odd show hosted by older broadcasters.

Philuva
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you believe they did? It makes it even worse! They're selling out, man!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely, I think it sucks that ESPN has used thing like the BUDWEISER Hot Seat, or COORS 6-Pack of Questions or those f-ing god-awful short movies that are really just extended commercials. Anyway, I think it is even worse to use the sponsor in casual conversation.

Hey, did you see the Ford Halftime Show during the Super Bowl last night?

Anyway, corporate sponsorship of EVERYTHING is one of my pet peeves.

Ulysses
07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that would be heresay, which totally sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Category: USC Football Legends

"Hertz commercial"

"Marcus Allen?"

"Bloody glove"

"Huh?"

"Heisman"

"Marcus Allen?"

"Juice"

"Huh?"

"PASS"

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 06:15 PM
LOL, yeah but they are so stupid it hurts to watch.

Ulysses
07-22-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, yeah but they are so stupid it hurts to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just dumb when they're both stupid. It's hilarious, though, when only one is really stupid.