PDA

View Full Version : KQo in SB against CO raise... evil flop.

easypete
07-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Did I play this one too aggressive?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, CO folds.

<font color="purple">Against 3 others, should I just check/fold? I get rid of the pf raiser, but do I assume an Ace w/ a call from BB?</font>

Turn: (5 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

<font color="purple">OK... maybe I'm good now????</font>

River: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

<font color="purple">Just check here?</font>

Final Pot: 9 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

bennyk
07-22-2004, 11:40 AM
I would bet the flop like you've done, but I'm looking for a reason to get out of there. If you're raised, you should make sure you're getting the proper odds to call again. An ace and a medium-large PP are probable holdings for a raiser here, so you're in a tricky spot - you have some high-card outs, which may be good, or may be drawing dead, and some running diamond outs. I would probably fold to a raise if it came from a player you can believe.

A bet out on the flop is good because of the results you experienced, i.e., CO folds TT or a similar good hand, and you get it heads up with BB.

Heads up on the turn, when you hit your Q, it will often be correct to bet until BB gives you a reason not to - and then often fold to a raise, instead of calling. Many tricky players will wait for the turn to raise here.

On the river, the T is not a scare card for you since your pair is higher. I think this is a clear value bet. If BB holds A6s or something then shame on him for not playing it faster. He is losing more EV than you are on this hand, since you will win most of the time your opponents hold a "calling" hand.

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2004, 11:44 AM
I'd have checked somewhere - cause you have no idea where the BB is. The preflop call was easy - pot odds say you have to if you hand is halfway decent.

Does he have an 8? A? diamond draw? KJ? 810? you didn't get much chance to get a read on him by always leading out and him calling.

easypete
07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
BB shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop call was easy - pot odds say you have to if you hand is halfway decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not easy at all. Maybe I'm too tight though.

kgrad5
07-22-2004, 03:24 PM
i thoguht you were a lag? did you lie in your confessions post?

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm only LAG when I'm doing the raising, not when I have to call a mediocre hand out of position to a raise.

chief444
07-22-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The preflop call was easy - pot odds say you have to if you hand is halfway decent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think it IS easy. Easy fold. If it were KQs it would be more difficult.

dfscott
07-22-2004, 03:31 PM
I posted some similar hands earlier, so I can relate to the "evil flop."

I think you're in better shape with AAX than AXX. With two on the flop, there's less chance that someone was dealt an Ace (maybe that's faulty logic, but that's the way it seems to me).

I would play this hand exactly the same. If you don't bet the flop, you're screaming "I DON'T HAVE AN ACE!" and you invite everyone else to bluff at you even if they don't.

chief444
07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're in better shape with AAX than AXX. With two on the flop, there's less chance that someone was dealt an Ace (maybe that's faulty logic, but that's the way it seems to me).

[/ QUOTE ]
That's good logic and I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
I would play this hand exactly the same. If you don't bet the flop, you're screaming "I DON'T HAVE AN ACE!" and you invite everyone else to bluff at you even if they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even pocket dueces is a pretty big favorite over K high here. It's ok if you don't flop trip aces. No one will think less of you. You're allowed to fold. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dfscott
07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think it IS easy. Easy fold. If it were KQs it would be more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! I misread this -- I thought hero was the one raising.

I don't like playing KQ versus a raise -- I would probably fold here as well.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't bet the flop, you're screaming "I DON'T HAVE AN ACE!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. Maybe for this particular hero and his table image it may be true, but in general cases it's not.

MRBAA
07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
If the CO is likely to raise as a steal with weaker hands, I'd three bet to try and get head up preflop.

As the hand played out, I'd probably have checked the river.