PDA

View Full Version : Any defense for my play here?

Sam T.
07-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t740)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t770)
CO (t950)
Button (t735)
Hero (t850)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t755)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t30</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t20, BB calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15.

Flop: (t210) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>

<font color="green">I've been experimenting with different plays here, and decide to see how a check-raise would work here. As the SB with a ragged flop, my hope is that a preflop bettor will put me on a Small Blind special, and decide his pair if tens might not be good. And if he calls I've got outs. </font>

Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t125</font>,

<font color="green">Well here's a problem. Any meaningful raise would put me in for a big chunk of my stack. Shut it down now? </font>

UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t740 (All-In)</font>,

<font color="green">Well, that certainly changes things. Can't check-raise an all-in. This screams, "I've got the best hand right now, but I don't think it's going to stay that way, so please fold." So naturally...</font>

CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t820 (All-In)</font>.

<font color="green">
No real excuse for this, except a brain-fart, and the sense that if I won this hand I would be in very good shape to win the whole thing. (I know this isn't a gimme, but at this level I play well with a lead. When I double-up early, I tend to win.)

After the fact, I tried to figure out the odds. With t1075 in the pot, my ~2:1 on the flush draw was nowhere near enough to justify a call, though a call from the BB would get me there. Of course if either one of them is playing A /images/graemlins/club.gifX /images/graemlins/club.gif, I'm screwed.

Obviously this is not a hand I am proud of, but wonder if it was as bad as I think.</font>

Vuron00
07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
In my opinion, my answer to your question would be "No". You already know that your odds didn't justify the call, and even if you did hit you couldn't be sure you had the highest flush.

Personally, I would have folded before the flop after a raise and a caller, but I know a lot of guys like to play this hand. Its way to early in the tournament to risk all your chips calling a raiser and caller with a draw hand. When you didn't hit a monster flop and with the action behind you, I think its an auto-fold situation.

Jason Strasser
07-22-2004, 11:49 AM
The only thing I like about your play is the call preflop.

The reason why you checked the flop, is so that you could check raise all-in and have some folding equity. So that sometimes you'd be able to take down the pot, and sometimes you'd be in a coinflip type scenario.

But when someone else beats you to it, you lose the chance to win the pot uncontested, and your EV shoots down. You can't cold call here, there is no defense for your play. It is poor.

-Jason

unfrgvn
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
I would fold. I would put mp3 on a big over pair, aces, kings or queens. You might crack them with your flush draw but my flushes never seem to come in this spot. Either that or he would have the A /images/graemlins/club.gif and it would come runner runner clubs.

Sam T.
07-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I needed it. The BB folded, and MP3 flipped up ATo. I didn't catch a club, but a King on the river won it for me (and I did coast to an easy win). Perhaps it was cosmic justice for T7o calling a t100 raise and busting my rockets. (He then had the nerve to say, "You should have bet more." It was over 15% of your stack, you idiot!)

Anyway, I knew it was a bad play as soon as I hit "Raise All-in". I posted so that y'all would shame me out of making such a play again. Thanks! I nice rule I read somewhere is, "Never play a hand you would be embarassed to post in this forum." Now I just have to follow it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Desdia72
07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback, I needed it. The BB folded, and MP3 flipped up ATo. I didn't catch a club, but a King on the river won it for me (and I did coast to an easy win). Perhaps it was cosmic justice for T7o calling a t100 raise and busting my rockets. (He then had the nerve to say, "You should have bet more." It was over 15% of your stack, you idiot!)

Anyway, I knew it was a bad play as soon as I hit "Raise All-in". I posted so that y'all would shame me out of making such a play again. Thanks! I nice rule I read somewhere is, "Never play a hand you would be embarassed to post in this forum." Now I just have to follow it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Sam,
i'm never posting my hands and plays in these forums again ( /images/graemlins/grin.gif). when you go looking for criticism, you often will get it ( /images/graemlins/grin.gif). glad to know it worked out for you.