PDA

View Full Version : Tommy A and pocket pairs

03-27-2002, 06:40 AM
I read a post down below where you said you only fold about 10 pocket pairs a year preflop. I figured you were kidding but I never know with you. You do fold AQ UTg and play J-6o on the button.

Is that true? What about in the blinds..........

03-27-2002, 10:55 AM
"I read a post down below where you said you only fold about 10 pocket pairs a year preflop. I figured you were kidding but I never know with you."

No joke. Reconsidering, I think the estimate was a little low, but not by an order of magnitude. I figure I get about 3000 pocket pairs per year. I probably fold 30 to 50 of them, some from the BB when there is one raiser and everyone is out but me, some when facing two-cold and it looks like it'll be headup even if I don't three bet, some as early-position opener if I'm eating.

"You do fold AQ UTg ..."

Huh? No way! Not at limit.

"and play J-6o on the button."

PLAY is a hazy word because it denotes only the action when what we're usually more interested is the frequency of that action. I also play 7-2 offsuit on the button.

Tommy

03-27-2002, 01:42 PM
"I also play 7-2 offsuit on the button"

I like a post with a stinger at the end.

03-27-2002, 06:46 PM
I am sure I couldn't play that many pairs profitably. Perhaps my hand reading isn't there.

03-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Well, there's no question Tommy's a great player, and there's also no question he plays most of his pocket pairs. I remember a post of his that casually mentioned something like, ". . .and I cold-called 3-bets with pocket deuces. . ." And there's probably no question he plays 'em better than you and me. [I say probably because I shouldn't presume to speak for you; he certainly plays 'em better than I do.]

There might be a question, though, as to whether he would be an even better'greater player if he let some of those pocket pairs go. I'll ask him.

03-28-2002, 03:57 AM
I personally think pocket pairs are where good players lose a lot of there earn. But I stopped trying to figure Tommy out a long time ago. Maybe one day ill play against him.