PDA

View Full Version : Best album you have bought in the last 6 months thread.

Cptkernow
07-22-2004, 07:38 AM
The Bees : Release The Bees.

TylerD
07-22-2004, 07:54 AM
The Killers - Hot Fuss

(and its not even close /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Sooga
07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown (Remastered, with extra tracks)

Truly an underrated hip-hop classic, and now it sounds even better.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Muse - Absolution
and
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

These two are by far and away the best two albums of the year.

glen
07-22-2004, 09:31 AM
PJ Harvey's Uh huh Her is the only album I've bought in the last six months (since i download everything), and it's pretty good. . .

turnipmonster
07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
the latest modest mouse kicks ass! also maria schneider's new record "concert in the garden".

--turnipmonster

swimfan
07-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Absolution is a fantastic album, I also enjoyed Franz Ferdinand.

Philuva
07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News is great. I also got The Shins latest album recently and is incredible.

Big Al
07-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Bad Religion's "The Empire Strikes First". Album smokes, awesome lyrics.

sfer
07-22-2004, 10:44 AM
The new Modest Mouse is fantastic and so is the new Shins.

DrSavage
07-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong of the Right.

Sloats
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
I remember in the 80's, a record executive holding up a CD and telling us that they cost less to produce than cassette tapes. He promised us that if we switched over to this new technology, that CDs would cost less than cassettes. That day has not come therefore I see no reason to support an industry that thrives on lies.

sucka
07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
you believed that?

I have this house with an ocean view in Arizona for sale if you are interested...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rushmore
07-22-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PJ Harvey's Uh huh Her is the only album I've bought in the last six months (since i download everything), and it's pretty good. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I hope it's better than her last offering, that miserable Stories From The City thing that sucked so bad I couldn't believe it.

Yes, Polly Jean, we've all been to New York.

I mean, seriously, there were only two good songs on the whole thing: This Mess We're In, and Kamikaze.

I expected so much more. How can you go from "Rid Of Me" to this sickly sample?

OK, Glen. I'll give her one more shot, but you'll be held accountable.

jagoff
07-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree with Modest Mouse! Everything they have put out thus far has ROCKED!! Great tunes from some trailer park kids from Oregon

jagoff
07-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I know that the album has been out for a little while now but I just bought the new Jack Johnson album and it is great!

Sloats
07-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I know. People were so honest in the eighties.

Hey, it's my rationalization for using Napster.

MasterShakes
07-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Matthew Good - White Light Rock and Roll Review

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Matthew Good - White Light Rock and Roll Review

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the Matthew Good Band anymore?

MasterShakes
07-22-2004, 02:22 PM
No. He fired all of them except for the bassist.

mjhutch
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Wilco's "A ghost is born".

Paluka
07-22-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad Religion's "The Empire Strikes First". Album smokes, awesome lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this compare with the older Bad Religion albums? Bad Religion is probably my favorite band of all-time but I drew the line at Recipe for Hate. Recipe for Hate is so-so and I'm pretty sure anything after it is crap.

Boylermaker
07-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Indestructable - by Rancid

charlie_t_jr
07-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East Deluxe Edition. The original album wasn't the full concert. The deluxe edition isn't one seemless concert recording, but puts together the original set list, in order, culled from the 2-3 nights they played.

Very cool stuff.

Honorable mention: The Who's, Who's Next Deluxe Edition.
These "deluxe editions" are pretty cool. This one has the complete original album and some studio outtakes on disc 1. The 2nd disc is a live recording of most of the album and some other unreleased stuff The Who were working on at the time.

There's a long backstory to the album that Pete Townsend explains in the booklet. But basically, they were working on a follow up to their rock opera "Tommy". It was supposed to be a story, live concert film of rock saves the world type of thing called "Lifehouse" that never got off the ground. They were playing live/rehearsals, that were open to the public, and the 2nd disc is one of those performances.

With all the technology and pre-recorded tracks that are used to help fill in gaps, that most bands use in concert these days, its really amazing to hear the sound that 1 guitar, 1 bass, and 1 drummer can make.

If your looking for classic, legendary albums to add to your collection...these are two to get.

Ulysses
07-22-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great choice. However, I just recently bought Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, so even though I've had all those songs for a long time electronically, I still have to go with that one. I love that album.

fnurt
07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Jet - Get Born

Philuva
07-22-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I just recently bought Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you have Soft Bulletin? I think the greatest album of that year.

One of the greatest combinations of music and lyrics are in the song the Spark that Bled:

And it seemed to cause a chain reaction
It had momentum, it was gaining traction
It was all the rage, it was all the fashion
The outreached hands had resigned themsevles to
holding on to something that they never had
And that's too bad
Cause in reality there was no reaction

Losing all
07-22-2004, 04:45 PM
The latest Perfect circle is good.

My brother got me into QOTSA recently, so I had to buy all of their stuff, f'ing great.

Super joint ritual(with phil from pantera) is pretty good.

WARNING to all metalheads-- I never thought I'd say this, but the new Clutch sucks! They managed to change their stlye 100% in every previous album and still remain great, not this time.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Kanye West: College Dropout.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The latest Perfect circle is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about the new APC. I liked the first album a lot, but wasn't crazy about the first single off this one. I liked it, but wasn't terribly excited. You're the first person I've heard say anything about it.

Losing all
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
It's a lot different. Not as hard, and some songs kind of seem like filler. all in all, not as good as the first album, but good.

Big Al
07-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Matbe not quite as raw as some of their earlier stuff, but it rocks hard, and as I said, lyrics are top notch, IMO.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-22-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot different. Not as hard, and some songs kind of seem like filler. all in all, not as good as the first album, but good.

[/ QUOTE ]
How's James Iha? Does he stand out at all, or would you not know the difference if it was just some schmoe in his place?

jwvdcw
07-22-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kanye West: College Dropout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great album. Although he doesn't have the greatest natural voice for a rapper, his rhymes are clever and very different than a lot of what is being put out there today. He takes a lot of risks in what he says as well. Great guest appearances also.

glen
07-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Actually, the stories from the city was the first album of hers i bought, and I got in the first place because I like Radiohead a lot and she did that song with Thom Yorke, but since then I've heard the old stuff, and yeah, it's real good. I think, however, that like half that album is good, esp. "We float," the last song. . . In any case, I think uh huh her has some good songs. "The letter" is a good, polished, poppy rock song that you would probably expect from her at this point in her career. . .

astroglide
07-22-2004, 08:14 PM
i guess "room on fire" by the strokes is over 6 months but it's still tops on my list for recent purchases

1800GAMBLER
07-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Best albums:

The Thrills - So much for the City
Hope of the States - Lost Riots

Most overrated/let down/turned out to be crap:

Muse, it's awful apart from 4 songs.

RPatterson
07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation

astroglide
07-22-2004, 09:47 PM
only 10+ years old too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif fantastic album, i used to listen to it all the time working fast food and driving a beat up mazda 626.

Chah Ngo
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
"Sublime"
self titled.

swimfan
07-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Soft Bulletin is indeed a classic. Looking at other music threads, looks like I share your taste in music. Saw the Doves at the Trocadero (Philly), they were great live. On the not so great side, during the show my car was broken into. Philly rocks.

Ulysses
07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, but even better than their albums are their live shows. Really great.

Andy B
07-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Haven't bought that many records recently, as I've been spending my money on going to concerts instead. I was introduced to the Saw Doctors at a concert two months ago, and they are a great live band. I've bought a couple of CDs since then, one a compilation and the other a live recording, and the compilation, Play it Again Sham!, is the better of the two, in my opinion. I think people said in the other thread that compilations aren't "albums," though. Another recent purchase was the Boban Markovic Orkestar's Boban I Marko. Boban Markovic is a Serbian Gypsy trumpet player, and there is nothing quite like a Balkan brass band. Another recent purchase which I've thoroughly enjoyed and which I don't expect too many other people to approve of is The Darkness' Permission to Land. Best album that I've bought in the last six months that is actually a record album as opposed to a CD is Boiled in Lead's From the Ladle to the Grave.

gonores
07-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Modest Mouse gets an honorable mention, but Sevendust's new Southside Doublewide acoustic live set is simply jaw-dropping.

ThaSaltCracka
07-23-2004, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great tunes from some trailer park kids from Oregon

[/ QUOTE ] There from Issaquah, WA.

ThaSaltCracka
07-23-2004, 12:41 AM
8Ball and MJG: Living Legends.... its pretty damn good.

These chicks at my work have been raving about MM, maybe I will buy it..... Also thinking about buying the new The Roots CD, I hear the new Ghostface is really good to.

mike l.
07-23-2004, 01:43 AM
gang wizard-jekyll loves hyde lp on ecstatic peace (thurston moore's lable)

actually it's my band

gonores
07-23-2004, 02:17 AM
You have my permission to run over old ladies en route to purchasing the new Ghostface Album.

That is all

Schneids
07-23-2004, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jet - Get Born

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote as well.

Great thread, lots of ideas for more music to check out /images/graemlins/smile.gif

First on the list will be the entire Modest Mouse album... I've only heard a couple of songs by them and didn't think they were anything special but now I have to check out the whole album.

mike l.
07-23-2004, 04:15 AM
for all you newer modest mouse fans go check out all the stuff by unwound. what a great band, you will like it.

MicroBob
07-23-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation

[/ QUOTE ]

geez....i still have this on vinyl.

MarkD
07-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Also, The Moon and Antarctica is probably better than Good News for People Who Like Bad news.

mostsmooth
07-23-2004, 11:13 AM
you BUY albums?

sfer
07-23-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, The Moon and Antarctica is probably better than Good News for People Who Like Bad news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I bought that like 3 years ago.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-23-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you BUY albums?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's what us non-degenerates do.

jagoff
07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
The newest APC isn't good at all!

Rob Blackburn
07-23-2004, 12:38 PM
I buy so much music its hard to list one. But these two have consitently been listened to on my iPod since I got them.

Dj Shadow-Live! In Tune and On Time
The Streets-A Grand Don't Come for Free

What I really want is a new Mars Volta album, De-loused In the Comatorium was the best album I have bought in 5 years.

MarkD
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I posted it for the people that have just been introduced to Mouse. I've only owned moon for like a year /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Us canadians are sheltered.

MarkD
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The newest APC isn't good at all!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are dead wrong.

astroglide
07-23-2004, 04:40 PM
no he's not. the new APC album is short, has massive amounts of filler, and the songs kill time until they make it into a catchy chorus and then kill more time. it's poor compared to their first offering.

MarkD
07-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Hmm... I would disagree with most of that but don't feel music is something that can be argued very well so I'll just say that I really like both APC albums and would be surprised to find someone who liked the first that didn't like the second.

They are both great IMO.

astroglide
07-23-2004, 04:57 PM
the package - good track
weak and powerless - mostly relies on the chorus
the noose - really relies on the chorus
blue - completely relies on the chorus
vanishing - really filler
a stranger - mostly filler
the outsider - entertaining but the entire song is the chorus
crimes - completely filler
the nurse who loved me - interesting cover, good track
pet - chorus-reliant...with a weak chorus
lullaby - completely
gravity - good track

the filler songs are useless, and most of the songs would be vacant without a chorus. this isn't to say that it's not the strong point of most things, but it seems their whole writing process was around making a chorus and then coming up with anything at all to cover the distance between the repetitions. remove the filler and you have less than 40 minutes of content, and most of it is unremarkable.

Losing all
07-23-2004, 05:22 PM
You're a tough critic. Like I said, there is some filler (and that pisses me off some) and it's not as good as the first album. It's still probably better than 999 of 1000 random cd's you walk by at the ole wal marts. There really isn't much out there for someone with my taste in music nowadays, so I take what I can get. Maybe I like the "good" songs more than you though.

MicroBob
07-23-2004, 05:49 PM
you guys are making me feel old.

back in the day i knew all about the new and hip bands...but i grew up in a small college town with a cool radio-station.
i'm just not in tune with all the info around here....but other memphians seem to know what's going on so i'm not really sure i can blame the location.

the shins sold-out a show here about 6 months ago...but it was before i had ever heard of them so i missed out.
i did see elvis costello there a couple months ago so that kind of makes up for it doesn't it??

looking forward to getting the new wilco.

i think the strokes are extremely over-rated.

to the guy that saw The Doves at the Trocadero in Philly.
i VERY MUCH wish i could have been at that show.
i made my first trip into Philly when i was living in upstate NY and HAD to see Luna at the Troc.

speaking of which....Luna has a new CD coming out at some point...not sure exactly when. but i suspect that will qualify as 'the best CD i WILL buy within the NEXT 6 months'

1800GAMBLER
07-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I forgot to meantion that The Doves - Lost Souls is the best album to come out in the last 5 years without much competition. While their next album was a total let down /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MicroBob
07-23-2004, 07:20 PM
i liked a few tracks from Doves Lost Souls....but thought that many of the tracks really dragged it down thus i didn't care for the entire CD as a whole.

cold play 'parachutes' has to be considered amongst the best in the past 5 years. in spite of its mainstream success it's still pretty darn good.
i liked wilco 'yankee doodle fox trot' a lot also.

Joshua
07-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Evanescense of course. The album of the century...maybe I'm overselling it /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nothumb
07-24-2004, 02:06 AM
I think I got all of these in the last six months:

Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (these guys are the feckin tits without a doubt)

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (my favorite of theirs so far)

The Holmes Brothers - Where It's At (this is an old tape I got at a garage sale - great blues band)

NT

astroglide
07-24-2004, 02:12 AM

wow

1800GAMBLER
07-24-2004, 07:42 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif Lost Souls wasn't like that for me. It's probably the only album in ages in which i put on press play and don't touch anything then, i like all the tracks almost equally and i think the order of them flow perfectly, as more of a story telling album. The songs go through a wide variation but there's always this dark-under-laying strange effects and interesting sounds layered upon layers in the background over their indie style. It's an album i put on and hear something new everytime i listen to it. For me the 2nd album was the album in which i just found good songs.

ThaSaltCracka
07-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Okay, based upon the advice of several people on here I purchased two new CD's.
Modest Mouse: Good news.... This CD is really good. I recommend it as well.
Ghostface: The Pretty Tony Album..... Ths CD is fuckin tight man, the beats are amazing, but with a def old school fell. The flows are also on point... with very few guest appearances, although the ones that are on the CD fit very well. You can tell this is a solo CD, which is saying a lot for Rap these days...

The Q
07-26-2004, 04:31 PM
My vote goes to The Killers, with Franz Ferdinand a close second.

jagoff
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
I agree completely! The entire CD lacks inspiration. It almost seems like they just threw it together at the last minute.

nicky g
07-28-2004, 07:21 AM
I agree, the Killers album is great. They're playing 5 minutes walk from my house next month but I couldn;t get tickets. May wander up to price the touts on the night.

Two other good recent purchases were Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's first album ("Love Burns" is just the greatest song ever ever ever) and Mark Lanegan's "Field Songs."

Chris Daddy Cool
07-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I recently bought The Tipping Point by The Roots. I like it, but its so damn short.

Haven't checked out Ghostface's ablum yet, but I will say I liked Method Man's cd a lot.

My vote still goes for Kanye though.

Sheriff Fatman
07-28-2004, 08:16 AM
The Pixies - Live at Brixton Academy (Disclive numbered CD's). There's 4 of them from the 2nd - 5th June so these will have to be the top 4! The 3rd June was the best actual gig but I was at the other 3 so they're 'special'.

Sheriff

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-29-2004, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Muse - Absolution
and

These two are by far and away the best two albums of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]
To these two, I will add Auf der Maur by (Melissa) Auf der Maur. I went out and got it the day it was out, but it took a few listens to really appreciate it. It's a great guitar album from a great woman.

GuyOnTilt
07-29-2004, 06:01 PM
1) Blindside : About A Burning Fire

Best melodic hardcore album to come out in the last year, period. Great, great record. These guys are ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE live. If you haven't seen them play a show, do. They put on the best live performance I've ever seen. Ever. You should start to see these guys getting national attention in the next few years. Their underground following and fanbase is solid. I seriously cannot say enough about these guys.

2) Sevendust : Seasons

Very solid record. A lot more melodic than Home or Animosity with better musicianship. And Morgan Rose is still the freaking man on the drums and on his screams.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought The Tipping Point by The Roots. I like it, but its so damn short.

[/ QUOTE ] damn, short.... any other stand out tracks other than "don't say nuthin"?

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't checked out Ghostface's ablum yet, but I will say I liked Method Man's cd a lot.

[/ QUOTE ] Ghostface's album kills Meth's big time.... its hot man, real hot...

[ QUOTE ]
My vote still goes for Kanye though.

[/ QUOTE ] Kanye's record is probably gonna be the top hip-hop album of 2004.

jmark
07-31-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, The Moon and Antarctica is probably better than Good News for People Who Like Bad news

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like the Lonesome Crowded West best of all.

I also really like American Errorism from NOFX.

Did someone say Bad Religion had a new alblum? Are they still alive?

Mark Heide
08-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Britten/McPhee--BBC Symphony Orchestra/Leonard Slatkin.

Softrock
08-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Recognize that I am a child of the 60's and "an old guy" to many of you. For me it's Honkin' On Bobo by Aerosmith.

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 01:20 AM
A great album front to back. If I were to be castaway on some desert island and could only have 2 CDs with me, that would be one of them. It never get old and I've had it for a long time.

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 01:28 AM
I like The Strokes. I just wish they weren't a bunch of rich guys so they would put out a new album a little more often.

Previous mentions of The Thrills, Modest Mouse, and The Shins are also good albums. I find myself a surprised by the great display of musical taste I'm seeing here. However, I'm even more suprised that many of you are still paying for CDs bought at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or something.

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

wow

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. OK Computer is a solid number one slightly over The Bends.

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 01:36 AM
The Doves are very "hit or miss".

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 01:39 AM
THANK YOU ONE-AND-ALL FOR NOT GIVING ANY MENTION TO A SINGLE HIP HOP ALBUM. MUSIC HAS JUST TAKEN A HUGE STEP FORWARD. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astroglide
08-02-2004, 04:31 PM
as opposed to stealing them or paying apple for low-quality versions?

ramjam
08-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Bobby Bland - Dreamer
Dusty Springfield - Cameo

deacsoft
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
downloading or sharing and ripping. both which, in essance, are stealing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q8offsuit
08-03-2004, 12:35 AM
1) Blindside : About A Burning Fire

Best melodic hardcore album to come out in the last year, period. Great, great record.

+ 1000 for Blindside! I especially loved their last album "Silence."

Fabulous band. Do not let the fact that they are sometimes labeled "CCM" deter you from listening. Liking Jesus is not a bad thing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I cannot believe that Coheed & Cambria's "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth" has not been mentioned yet. My pick for album of the century so far. Absolutely fantastic hardcore/progressive/sci-fi rock/emo/indescribable/whatever it is record. Just buy it please.

astroglide
08-03-2004, 01:28 AM
that is lame. the people that are "still buying" are the better people.

Bubbagump
08-03-2004, 11:59 AM
I recently purchased the Steve Vai DVD, Live at the Astoria and just got around to watching it the other night. During one of the last songs, I think it was the Attitude song, he has a guest performer come on stage whom I have never heard of before. The guest performer was another Guitarist who was playing a Dobro. My jaw hit the floor watching this guy tear it up! I'm a sucker for good blues guitar and the way this guy attacked his instrument reminded me of 'old school' blues guitar players who are all dead now. I was amazed. You just don't see people who play like this anymore.

I learned from the credits that this was Eric Sardinas and from his website, I got a list of everything he's done to date. I made a b-line to the nearest music store. The only thing I could find was his first (of 3) records, 'Treat me Right'. It is simply awesome.

This far and away the best thing I've bought this year.

Bubbagump