PDA

View Full Version : 88 in the BB

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Here's a hand I thought I played somewhat strangely.

MP1 was very TAGgy, though somewhat predictable. Button was loose and loved to call with any piece of the flop.

UB 10/20

MP1 openraises. 3 coldcallers. SB folds. I'm in the BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif and call.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. MP1 raises. Button coldcalls. I call.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet. MP1 calls. Button calls.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. MP1 bets. Button calls. I call.

Results in white: <font color="white">
I have 88 for a pair of 8's.
MP1 has AK for high card ace.
Button has 87 of spades for pair of 7's and missed flush. </font>

balkii
07-22-2004, 05:33 AM
against a tight and predictable player, I'd fold the flop, the turn, and the river.

I'm guessing your results will show he had AJs and the button had 75, but i'd still do it.

Saborion
07-22-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't mind the bet on the flop. I don't mind the bet on the turn. I do mind the overcall on the river though. But I suck, so please let me know on which streets I thought poorly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I wasn't too sure about my river overcall either. I was debating whether or not to just bet the river, but I really couldn't stand getting raised so I check/called. I correctly put the button on a flush draw, but when he called the river I was a little hesitant. (Though when I did call I hoped he had exactly the hand that he did have.)

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
against a tight and predictable player, I'd fold the flop, the turn, and the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

balkii
07-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Well i misinterpreted what you meant by your player description.

I took your description of tight and predictable to mean he is not raising the flop with a missed AK against a TAG (you, right?) without some spades. So I thought the flop bet was fine, but once he raises I would probably give him credit for a better hand, or at the very least a 15 out hand like AsKs or what have you.

I definitely dont like overcalling on the river. Maybe you should change your book on this guy.

sfer
07-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure I like the flop bet. A predictable TAG is going to raise about 100% of the time and from your description whether the button has to call 1 or 2 SBs is not going to influence his decision to fold at all.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
He was predictable in that he wouldn't raise the turn again with just overcards. The flop raise was what I was counting on in hopes to get it heads up where I could check call to the river. When he doesn't raise the turn I'm quite sure he has AK, but the button has me worried.

If he raises the turn, then I fold. I just felt that tehre was still a good chance my hand was good.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I like the flop bet. A predictable TAG is going to raise about 100% of the time and from your description whether the button has to call 1 or 2 SBs is not going to influence his decision to fold at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but there are other players in this hand as well and if button doesn't have any piece he'll fold. I thought it was worth the risk to clear out the field a little.

sfer
07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but there are other players in this hand as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! Missed that. Looks fine.

chief444
07-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Normally I would agree that the overcall is not good. But given your description of the button "loose and loved to call with any piece" I don't think his call means nearly as much here as it normally would. MP1 being TAG but predictable and just calling the turn indicates either overcards or maybe 99, TT or JJ (only hands I'd be concerned about). All this along with odds of about 13:1...I don't think overcalling is bad at all here.

sthief09
07-22-2004, 03:27 PM
this is an example of a parlay.

the odds that MP1 doesn't have a Q, overpair, or set AND button doesn't have a Q, pair above 88, or a set, are worse than the odds you're getting from the pot IMO.

I check the turn. if MP1 wants to take a free card with his AK, so be it. but I'm not looking to bet into a flop raiser/PFR AND a PF/flop cold-caller.

I think AK will be too scared to bet the turn anyway. plus, you can always check-raise the button if he's any bit aggressive, and fold if he's passive, since it's unlikely you've got him beat if he's betting.

there's also the check-raise option. button will call with much worse hands, so he improves your odds of being against overcards and not an overpair.

adanthar
07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
What do you do if

a)the button 3 bets the flop raise (*should* the button 3 bet the raise? Probably...)

b)you check, the AK checks and the button bets the turn?

Chris Daddy Cool
07-22-2004, 04:46 PM
a) fold.

b) um. that's why I didn't check the turn. Though my gut instict would be to checkraise.