PDA

View Full Version : Scary River Card

03-27-2002, 02:05 AM
In a good loose and not too aggressive 10/20 game I have Jc-5d in the big blind. Seven typical players see the flop (the small blind folded).

The flop comes Js-6s-3s. It gets checked around.

The turn comes the 7c. I bet and get three callers. Comments on my bet?

The river is the 7d. What is your play?

03-27-2002, 02:07 AM
I thought the river was an easy bet. Yes this card is scary to me but the board is scary to my opponents too (unless they hold a seven) and it is unlikely that anybody has a flush since there was no turn raise. Sometimes a bet will get a slightly better jack to fold since the turn card repeated on the river and I bet the turn. If raised I can safely fold since I will almost always be beat. But if I check I’m inviting one or two opponents to make a move or moves on the pot and could be forced to lay down the best hand.

All comments/flames appreciatted.

Regards,

Rick

03-27-2002, 02:15 AM
I like betting. Coming out and betting the turn when the 7 hits and continuing to fire on the river when a second one comes makes it almost impossible for anyone to raise you with a worse hand. Good spot for a value bet with the intention of mucking to a raise.

On the flop, were you intending on folding to alot of action and checkraising a LP bettor?

03-27-2002, 02:27 AM
Turn bet is fine.

River: I think you have a bet here. No one really seems to have much of anything and you wouldn't expect anyone to call with just a 7 on the turn given the 3 spades on the board.

No one is likely to bluff as each faces three potential policemen. Bet and you'll probably get called in one spot with a hand that you beat. Better yet, maybe a better hand (eg. bigger Jack) folds.

03-27-2002, 02:44 AM
Clark,

On the flop I fold to an early bet but I would checkraise the button given his high level of aggression.

Regards,

Rick

03-27-2002, 12:13 PM
Check and call one bettor. If you have to overcall, it's close, but I think you can lay it down. One or two of your callers rate to have large singleton spades. But one of them should have a 7. But there's enough dough in the pot that you need to pay him off.

Regards, Lee

03-29-2002, 06:55 AM
Hi Rick,

Been a while since I visited this neighborhood.

I think the river decision is close and would hinge on the nature of the opponents. Against relatively aggressive foes, I would check and hope to catch a bluff. With relatively passive opponents, I would bet.

-Mike

03-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi Mike!,

With all the active threads, I almost missed your post. This is the main reason I wish Chuck would re-instate the option of email notification of responses to ones posts.

In general I agree regarding the approach with passive verses aggressive players. But in this example the aggressive player would tend to make his move on the turn. On the river he has already lost the initiative and it is the lead bettor's turn card (the seven) that has repeated. By backing off now I believe you invite both a bet and a raise.

Regards,

Rick