PDA

View Full Version : Boris goes to commerce

06-07-2002, 02:00 PM
I'm going on a mini vacation to LA this weekend. I'll be playing at the Commerce on Saturday day and Sunday day. Maybe Saturday night also if I'm stuck with Mr. Hand as Spicoli would say. We'll see what happens.

Anyways stop by and say Hi. I'm nearly 30 but look older due to receding hairline and wrinkles caused by too much worrying.

06-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Wild games, huh? I played the 40 HE last night and saw nine or ten multi-player capped pots in three hours. That's actually not atypical. Nor is having five or more players limp before the flop. Be interesting to hear your comparison to LV games. I think the strategies to succeed are dramatically different.

06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
I played mostly in the 30-60. It was actually a fairly mild game. A little bit on the tight side and a little bit on the passive side. From what I have heard though, the 40 game is actually looser than the 30 game. I have to say that IMO, the crazy game reputation of LA is a bit overstated. There are alot of pretty good players at the Commerce. A typical line-up consisted of 2 totally live ones, 4 small loser/break even players and 3 rocks.

I have no idea how the Commerce games compare to the Las Vegas games. I played at the Bellagio once for a couple hours and that's it. The game at the Bellagio was very good.

All in all I like the Commerce quite a bit. The rates are high but at least I had a good seat for the Tyson fight. The food is also pretty good and cheap. It's supposed to be free but the servers give a dirty look if you tip less $5. It was also kind of cool to see all the poker celebrities out and about (jesus, seed, hoff, ivey, others whom I can't remember). I also liked the crapper in the top section, very clean, all marble, scented air and relaxing music piped in to help you relax on the can. real top notch treatment.

06-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Yes, the 40-80 is better. The problem with 30-60 is that the games turnover a lot (40-80 players waiting for seats) and the fact that there are fewer 30 tables than 20 or 40 ones.

The Commerce management should dump the 30-60 games. Mason had a discussion about too many limits close together in Poker Essays III.

06-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier. I would have tried to find you (again). Next time you are here, just ask the floorman to point out Brett.

This may be the first bathroom trip report I've read. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not too sure about the scented air, though. I never noticed it smelling good in there. Usually, it's overused becaues they built it too small.

Some of the tables around mine actually stopped playing during the fight. I took an out button, since I had to turn around to see the big screen.

06-11-2002, 04:57 PM
"The food is also pretty good and cheap. It's supposed to be free but the servers give a dirty look if you tip less $5"

$3 is typical tip and most players seem to really load up on each order. The one annoying thing is all booze orders (even beer and wine!) have to go through separate servers, and they are often difficult to find and coordinate with food orders.

06-11-2002, 07:15 PM
maybe I'll catch you next time.

"This may be the first bathroom trip report I've read."

What can I say? I loved Beavis and Butthead.