PDA

View Full Version : Should I have pushed?

gibs
07-22-2004, 12:03 AM
$50 tournament at Party. Four of us are left, blinds are 150/300, and stack sizes are as follows:

Bmh210 (3175)
paleses (1270)
ca820320 (4510)
gibs05 (1045)

I am on the button needing to make a move to stay alive in this tournament when I get A9o. I plan to move in with this hand preflop. But then the chip leader, who is under the gun, raises it to 600. This is not a big raise, but I fold. My reasoning being that I want to be the aggresor when I go all in. The other short stack, Paleses in the BB, moves all in and the big stack calls. So now I'm liking my lay down, and liking it even more when the short stack shows AQo, and the large stack shows A3o. That is until the flop comes out A K 9. But results aside, my question is should I have stuck with my original plan of pushing even after the raise before me? Like I said, when I go all in I like to be the aggressor. Is that logic wrong? Should I have pushed?

mikey checks
07-22-2004, 12:25 AM
if i could see every flop before i went all in id be rich too

no u made a very good read with a weaker ace

durron597
07-22-2004, 12:31 AM
I would try to put the big stack on a range of hands. Does he need an ace to make that move? Or just a paint card?

Realize that he has to call you no matter what. So make sure that, in your estimation, you are likely enough to have the better hand. Is the miniraise for him unusual or common?