PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to slow play top set with flush draw on board

woodguy
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
The exact same hand happened to me twice in the last 2 hours.

Dealt KK in MP. BB's=50 early in tourney

First in so I raise 3xBBs

Get one caller the first time, two the second.

Flop come Kxx with 2 of one flavour on board. (no obvious straight draw on board)

One time my K matched the soooot, the other time it didn't.

Both time I bet 2/3 pot to discourage the flush draw.

Both time everyone folded.

Both times I felt unsatisfied not getting better paid for the hand. Now I feel tempted to slow play it the next time I flop the top set (especially the fancy painted type of sets).

Anyone play any different here?

regards,
woodguy

durron597
07-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Two thoughts; maybe if you play it faster people will think you dont want callers and call.

Also: if the flop is Kxx, and you have KK, what could people possibly have to call you with besides the last King? And what are the chances of them having that?

I think it's better that you won a small pot than lost your stack when the flush card came on the turn and you have to fold to a reraise.

woodguy
07-22-2004, 12:40 AM
durron,
I agree.
After I re-read my post, I realized how stupid the question actually is.
I guess I was just venting some emotion.
Better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

I'll try overbetting it next time to see if I can stink like a bluff, good suggestion.

regards,
woodguy

SumZero
07-22-2004, 02:26 AM
The more tempting slowplay is when you don't have top set. Because then the top pair people are more likely to be out there and may call. I still usually don't slowplay it because I hate when the flush hits, but sometimes when out of position I'll check-raise with it.

Desdia72
07-22-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The exact same hand happened to me twice in the last 2 hours.

Get one caller the first time, two the second.

Flop come Kxx with 2 of one flavour on board. (no obvious straight draw on board)

One time my K matched the soooot, the other time it didn't.

Both time I bet 2/3 pot to discourage the flush draw.

Both time everyone folded.

Both times I felt unsatisfied not getting better paid for the hand. Now I feel tempted to slow play it the next time I flop the top set (especially the fancy painted type of sets).

Anyone play any different here?

regards,
woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you played the two set King hands fine. at least you won the hand. i raised preflop 3XBB one time with pocket Kings and got 4 callers. flopped another King for a set with two spades present, bet the size of the pot, everybody folded except for the smaller stack who went all-in with 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. he caught a spade on the river for a flush. crazy thing about it, he called a 300 preflop raise with three other callers in front of him with a 3 and a 5. like i said, at least you won( /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

jedi
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're upset about winning a small pot, make your preflop raise a little bigger. That way, your pot size bet on the flop will gain you more chips if they all fold.