PDA

View Full Version : Over aggressive w/ AKo?

MAxx
07-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Reads: I was pretty sure button was on a steal raise, so I was getting ready to 3bet him. Then the sb beat me to it. I thought SB was reasonably solid as far as my avg competition goes, but he had suffered some beats and I thought there was a good chance that he may be steaming. So instead of just calling, I capped PF. What do you think of the hand?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Ks (one pair, aces).
SB shows Js Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

GuidoSarducci
07-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Nice river. If he wasn't steaming before this, he certainly is on tilt now!

Since it was apparent he wasn't going anywhere after the flop betting, what's the thinking with the turn bet? You succeeded in getting your free card and you don't have a hand yet. I'd think it unlikely that you'd scare him off the pot with 1 BB into a 7BB pot, and let's not forget, you don't have a hand and you're against the SB, which opens up all sorts of cards you could be up against. Best to take the free river card and see if he doesn't try a feeler bet into you on the river.

MAxx
07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Good point. That is exactly right.

Joshua
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the way you played the hand. With all those low cards out there you could very well be ahead and could bet the turn for value.

adanthar
07-22-2004, 01:36 AM
SB 3 bet, then bet the rags into a capper. The flop raise is good, but he's probably not ahead on this turn. If this was 6 max, yeah, you could bet for value, but since it's not I'd probably check behind.

nothumb
07-22-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't have a hand and you're against the SB, which opens up all sorts of cards you could be up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most people 3-bet from the SB with any 2. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think his play screams overpair, and I think you can take the freebie on the turn, cause he ain't folding. In this case you hit your card and made an extra bet, but you're worse than 6 to 1 to hit a hand on the river.

NT

Joshua
07-22-2004, 02:26 AM
The people I play against could have AQ, AJ or even OJ, QT or JT or two diamond overcards. Maybe we just play against different types of opponents.

sthief09
07-22-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good point. That is exactly right.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not. you should bet the river. you'll call a river bet regardless, so why not bet the turn, thenb et the river if you improve. betting the turn has 2 huge advantages advantages. you get 2 BB when you win instead of 1 BB and there's a chance he'll fold the turn if he's unpaired, when he possibly could've rivered you if you checked.

checking the turn has no advantage, since you're going to call the river unimproved anyway.

don't just blindly follow advice. think for yourself and realize that you played it right.

MicroBob
07-22-2004, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The people I play against could have AQ, AJ or even OJ, QT or JT or two diamond overcards. Maybe we just play against different types of opponents. I think not betting the turn in this spot is weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i was thinking.

i don't think his play screams over-pair...otherwise he shouldn't have just called the raise on the flop and he certainly should not have checked on the turn.

i can very easily see him coming back with a PF re-raise against the blind-stealer with AQ, AJ, KQ whatever....and then playing exactly as he did after you raised on the flop.

after he checks the turn he is showing definite weakness.
you are betting for value here because there is a decent chance you have the best hand.
betting the turn also stands a good chance of inducing a fold.

so you've got 3 things going here....
1. you might actually be ahead here
2. you might induce a fold
3. if neither 1 or 2....you still have your 6 outs.

but either 1 or 2 are both decent possibilities since you already thought he might be tilting.

sthief09
07-22-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice river. If he wasn't steaming before this, he certainly is on tilt now!

Since it was apparent he wasn't going anywhere after the flop betting, what's the thinking with the turn bet? You succeeded in getting your free card and you don't have a hand yet. I'd think it unlikely that you'd scare him off the pot with 1 BB into a 7BB pot, and let's not forget, you don't have a hand and you're against the SB, which opens up all sorts of cards you could be up against. Best to take the free river card and see if he doesn't try a feeler bet into you on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's going to bet the river if you check. if you plan to call the river "feeler bet" then checking the turn is bad. if you bet the turn (1) he might fold, and (2) you'll get in an extra bet when you hit an A or K.

but, personally, I wouldn't even call a river bet, because it's so obvious he has an overpair. AK or AQ isn't betting into this flop.