PDA

View Full Version : Which was my biggest mistake?

filsho
07-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Alright, I played this horribly, let me know where you think I screwed up the most. Game is just a few friends, down to 5 of us. Started w/600 chips, I'm at ~900 (Only started w/6 players, so I'm about 2nd in chips). Blinds are 10-20.

I'm on the button, dealt 66. I call to see the flop, as everyone else did. Flop is 6s 7d 4h. BB goes all-in for 150, gets me & 2 other callers. Turn is Jd, checked between the 3 of us. River is 10d. Checked, next person bets. Bettor is a loose player notorious for checking the flopped nuts til the end, pretty unpredictable, not much logic to some of her plays. Gets one caller, then I fold. Guy all-in shows 7 4 for the winning hand. Bettor on the end shows KQ (K high) and caller had a pair of tens. The guy all-in is a good player and went on to win. I was kicking myself all night. Was my biggest mistake:
a) not raising preflop
b) not pushing in when I hit trips
c) not calling the last bet

I'm interested to hear the answers. I know I played this pretty wrong, but I was putting the girl who threw in that last bet on 89, hitting a straight on the end. Scared me too when the next guy called. Oh well, there's always next week.

durron597
07-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't understand your post, because 74 loses to 66 on a 674JT board. Unless I'm missing something.

The Ocho
07-21-2004, 10:48 PM
preflop is fine.

Your error is without a doubt the flop. One guy moves all in, two calls, and then you just call? You HAVE to move all in here. 100%. Without a doubt. That's it. Why leave yourself open to being outplayed/outdrawn/forced to make a tough decision if a possible scare card hits?

filsho
07-21-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand your post, because 74 loses to 66 on a 674JT board. Unless I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes....I folded, I think that's what you're missing /images/graemlins/blush.gif

durron597
07-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Man, I'm sorry. A little tired, long day.

Anyway, yeah, I think your mistake was not betting the turn. I always get scared of board two-flushes because my opponent always seems to have the draw if I don't bet it. (That's why you folded right?) A set is usually the best hand unless the board is particularly scary, I think I would call anyway when they calling bets into a rainbow flush draw, but betting the turn I think is best here.

Texas Pete
07-22-2004, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your error is without a doubt the flop. One guy moves all in, two calls, and then you just call? You HAVE to move all in here. 100%. Without a doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this guy 100%. You've either got the best hand and someone is trying to draw, or thinks they have the best hand, or someone flopped a straight or trip 7's, in which case you're beat and will probably stay beat. I say you've either got to go all-in or fold here. Calling can't be right.

kyro
07-22-2004, 01:21 PM
i ran into that same situation in my last home game. instead of pushing in preflop with AQ when one other guy went all in, I folded the best hand on the turn and lost about 2/3 of my stack. oops. push in.

TheDrone
07-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Another mistake, which no one has pointed out although it's related to your fold, is your attempt to put the river bettor on a hand or specific set of hands. You said yourself:
[ QUOTE ]
Bettor is a loose player notorious for checking the flopped nuts til the end, pretty unpredictable, not much logic to some of her plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more unpredictable the player, the broader the range of hands you should try to put them on (if you try at all) and the less reliable your read will be.

For the record, I am pushing on that flop every time.

Also for the record, the river bettor bluffed the dry side of a pot, causing the winning hand (you) to fold. That's very bad form on her part because her move prevented the eventual winner from busting out.

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also for the record, the river bettor bluffed the dry side of a pot, causing the winning hand (you) to fold. That's very bad form on her part because her move prevented the eventual winner from busting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my biggest pet peeve. A guy bets on the turn with nothing but high cards - and you fold cause you assume they have something. Why do you bluff with an all in player?

The only exceptions - when the all in is so small they are immaterial i.e - they only had t60 with blinds at 50/100

filsho
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I agree. Even though I think I read in TPFAP the other day that a person should still bet instead of just checking once someone is all in, her bet doesn't make any sense. I actually said something to her, that she probably just made the best hand fold but I can't call a decent bet with all those draws out there. She didn't understand. Also, good point about needing to put her on a broader range of hands. I've done it w/her before and been burnt when she has the cards, but that would be the rarer case I believe.

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Even though I think I read in TPFAP the other day that a person should still bet instead of just checking once someone is all in, her bet doesn't make any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bet like that to REopen the betting usually says "I've Got it"

brichr
07-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Based on position, I think I would have raised rather than simply calling the flop. If you are late and they have put their bets in, punish them because most likely you have the best hand. That way you try to push out some of the straight draws and you have already accumulated the bets that they would have put in if you just checked. Now, based on what the people showed down with, it may not have worked. The 10 high would have probably folded but who knows on the KQ. Some people just overplay the overcards.

brichr
07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Oops. The others are right. Pushing in is the best option. I've got pot limit mind-set.