PDA

View Full Version : i don't understand

B_L_U_F_F
07-21-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm playing 3/6 online. I've read Sklansky's Hold 'em Advanced & Theory, Lee Jones Low Limit, & Ken Warren's book. I fare well in the SNG tourneys, I had positive expectations playing $25 NL and in the B&M 3/6, 4/8 and yet lately in 3/6 I am losing money. Maybe it's just a bad run of cards but I'm not sure how to go about fixing my game. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm not even sure what to ask of this post except what do you guys do when it seems your game just went to hell?

cold_cash
07-21-2004, 07:29 PM
The answer to this question, and many, many others, is quite simple: Pabst Blue Ribbon.

JohnShaft
07-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I would ask you how many hands you've played online at 3/6 first of all. Without that it is impossible to tell if your losing is due to being outmatched in the game or too small sample size.

Bob T.
07-22-2004, 03:04 AM
The answer to this question, and many, many others, is quite simple: Pabst Blue Ribbon.

You see, like so many other questions the answer to this one is it depends, I've always found Corona and Labatts Blue to be a better solution than PBR.

In response to the first post, it also depends, how many hands have you played? How bad is your bad swing? How long has it lasted? The stock answer here, is to find some hands that you think you had trouble with and post them, find some hands that you think are routine, and post them, and finally find some hands that you think you played well and post them, and we'll see if we can help you with some leaks.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

sthief09
07-22-2004, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't really drink that [censored], do you? I mean, I joke around about drinking Pabst, but I just don't do it. I'm more of a Natty man myself.

sthief09
07-22-2004, 03:08 AM
the problem is that you read Ken Warren's book.

also, it takes a lot more than just reading books to be good. I read all those books and I still sucked. misapplying concepts is just as bad as, or maybe worse than, having never heard of them in the first place. so maybe you aren't playing as well as you think?

Joshua
07-22-2004, 03:13 AM
No matter how many books you read there is no substitute for exprerience. Try the lowest limit possible and start building a bankroll from there and moving up gradually.

nothumb
07-22-2004, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't really drink that [censored], do you? I mean, I joke around about drinking Pabst, but I just don't do it. I'm more of a Natty man myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hee hee.

When the bar at my local bowling alley replaced its 75c (!!) PBR draft with Natty Light, I stopped drinking them and started paying for real beer.

The answer to this guy's problem is to buy Phil Hellmuth's book.

NT

ike
07-22-2004, 05:04 AM
Phil Hellmuth's book is the actual worst thing ever. Anybody who played as he recommends in the beginners section in a low limit game would get killed.

balkii
07-22-2004, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my fellow oregonian. please explain to me how the [censored] did it get so cool to drink this swill? everywhere I go people have [censored] PBR patches sewed on their clothes and thats all they drink. I guess its just cause i'm not hip enough, its something i'll never understand.

All the great beer in portland/oregon and people spend their time drinking PBR. its a goddamn shame. you can't just go around in life taking things for granted. go to north dakota. I just went their for my grandma's birthday. They don't have [censored] for beer. miller lite, bud, bud lite, coors, coors light, stroh's light, schlitz. MICHELOB ULTRA LIGHT

something to think about.

now about the poker. what was the question. ah yes. losing money. Well I would certainly recommend that for the time being, you spend most of your time playing one game that you can focus on. its very difficult to become a good player when you are constantly bouncing from SnGs, to limit ring games, to NL ring games. Pick one area to focus on (i'd recommend limit ring games, as the most learning resources are available for that) and stick with it. Once you get the fundamentals down you will naturally pick up other games like SnGs and no-limit.

sfer
07-22-2004, 09:30 AM
There was an article in the NY Times Magazine about a year ago about how PBR consciously generated their new uber-cool hipster clientele. But the whole thing is over now. I was at a lame-o Wall Streeter bar last week and all the Gordon Gekkos were drinking it.

coolhandtom
07-22-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you, ever since i started drinking the official beer of the World Poker Tour - Anheuser World Select - my game has gone through the roof.... PBR is so yesterday...
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JohnShaft
07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth's book is the actual worst thing ever. Anybody who played as he recommends in the beginners section in a low limit game would get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ike, I think that's like why it was suggested. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

arkady
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
for a sticky thread!

EXPERIENCING BAD RUNS

MoreWineII
07-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Never read it, is it really that bad?

JohnShaft
07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never read it, is it really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not that bad. It's worse.
It's the only book I've read where I felt myself getting stupider by the page.

I got it free (well for UB points) and still feel shortchanged.

MoreWineII
07-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Now I might have to get it just for curiosity's sake.

cold_cash
07-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I think around here, (I can't speak for anyplace else, really), PBR has some kind of a strangly cultural hypnotic effect on people.

I imagine it has a lot to do with amount of cowboy-wanna-be rednecks who would never be caught dead drinking anything that costs more than $0.45 per bottle. ("I'm not drinking any of that pussy beer, where's the PBR?")

I also think this may stem from a lot of people's days of underage drinking, when getting 2 cases of PBR for $2.75 was simply too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe they just got hooked on it.

Personally, I think PBR is just one step above swamp water, but a lot of guys in my dad's generation swear by it. It's turned into kind of a running joke among most people. I had no idea there was a recent PBR craze in the eastern part of the country - now THAT's funny.

wmariner
07-22-2004, 05:20 PM
hellmuths book is junk and so is his attitude at the table give that man some cheese with his WINE

StellarWind
07-22-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now about the poker. what was the question. ah yes. losing money. Well I would certainly recommend that for the time being, you spend most of your time playing one game that you can focus on. its very difficult to become a good player when you are constantly bouncing from SnGs, to limit ring games, to NL ring games. Pick one area to focus on (i'd recommend limit ring games, as the most learning resources are available for that) and stick with it. Once you get the fundamentals down you will naturally pick up other games like SnGs and no-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Don't try and do everything at once.

I will say that *limit* SNGs have greatly benefitted my ring game play. They helped me learn heads up and shorthanded play. It's a much cheaper way to learn than moving up to a ring level where these skills really matter and taking my lumps. I also have a much better sense of when I am behind. In ring it is easy and often correct to say "pot odds" and keep donating. An SNG forces you to be much more realistic about when to call down.

StellarWind
07-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I am only an online player. That said, I have been led to believe that online 3/6 is much tougher than most B&M 3/6 or 4/8 games. You may simply be over your head and need to move down online.

MoreWineII
07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey wait, there are Oregonians here?

I'm in Vantucky atm, but born and raised in the ol' Beaver State.

Terrapin Soup
08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey wait, there are Oregonians here?

I'm in Vantucky atm, but born and raised in the ol' Beaver State.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's Vantucky?

Pythagorean
08-05-2004, 06:48 PM
WTF is wrong with all you doesn't anybody just down straight Vodka (Stoli) anymore? what's this PBR Bullsh*@t? what's the world coming to?

TiK
08-05-2004, 07:13 PM
In my college days I drank PBR because it was incredibly cheap. It was cheaper than water (literally) at my local dive...