PDA

View Full Version : How was this bluff inducer?

BlackMamba
07-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Hello.I was recently playing in a TP NL Holdem SNG when this hand came up. I was the chip leader with around $3500 in chips. The closest competitor was at $2800. Blinds are $50/$100. 4 people left. SS is at $750. Have one read on a player that says that he likes to bluff when he senses weakness. Knowing that, this is play was destined to happen /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm dealt J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP1. I know that I should fold this hand in EP but I couldn't resist the urge. I decide to limp and the SB calls.

Pot size=$300
Flop comes:9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I just flopped the nut straight.He checks, I follow Mr.Sklansky's guidelines for inducing bluffs and bet a small amount of $150. He thinks for awhile and calls.

Pot size=$600
Turn comes:2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. This is a great card for my hand as it doesn't put the flush on the board and is low enough to not cause concern. He checks once again, and following Sklansky's rules, I also check. So far, so good.

Pot size=$600
River comes:2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. As far as I'm concerned, I still have the best hand, unless of course he slowplaying a set, but thats ina much deeper part of my mind /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Amazingly, he leads out and bets a whopping $970, almost half of his stack. The bluff inducer worked like a charm. I decide to re-raise all-in for $3114. He thinks for awhile, and reluctantly calls. How good was this bluff inducer play? Results to follow. All comments welcome /images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I couldn't decide between the Poker Theory forum or this, but since this happened in a SNG, I put it in this one. Plz tell me f I should move it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TylerD
07-21-2004, 06:08 PM
You gave the guy a lot of free cards, I like the flop play, but you can't afford to give the guy another free card on the turn for him to hit his hand, you should bet something I would bet about 1/2 pot. Pre-flop if your going to enter the pot it probably should be for a raise 4 handed.

BlackMamba
07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
He calls away the rest of his chips. He turns K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is eliminated. The induced bluff worked wonders yet again

Cleveland Guy
07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He calls away the rest of his chips. He turns K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is eliminated. The induced bluff worked wonders yet again

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is willing to risk his tournament - from the buble on K high - sign me up to play against him anytime.

Nice bluff inducer - but I can't figure out for the life of me what this played called on?

schwza
07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
he called off 1/2 his chips on the bubble with K high? what a tool.

stupidsucker
07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
K high seems a bit absurd for anyone.

Are you sure that the J wasnt on the board and you had 9T?

I dont mean to question you but.... calling with Khigh on the bubble is beyond retarded.

Also.. if you are chip leader on the bubble, limping in with TJ isnt that bad. It prevents some people from stealing the blinds, but if Im the big stack and Im gonna play I bring it in with a raise.

Jason Strasser
07-22-2004, 04:33 PM
LOL

IF this is true, I award him the first attempt at a bluff call I have ever seen.

"Your bluffing, I have nothing, but I call!"

The bluff call must work wonders for his bankroll.

SossMan
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Have you ever posted a hand where you didn't flop the nuts or close to it??

Jason Strasser
07-22-2004, 04:43 PM
HEY now soss,

he only had the nuts on the turn... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stupidsucker
07-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I always flop the nuts, its part of being a good SnG player. You have to know what hands to play preflop that will flop the nuts.

My RoI would be about 200%, but the party boards always favor the underdog, so if I dont scare out the draw I lose the hand.

Algasm
07-22-2004, 06:58 PM
4 players left two days ago and I made a bluff at a board that consisted of J-6-3r and the turn came another J. I was in the BB with 10-7o. 900 in the pot. Turn comes another J, checked to me and I foolishly push all in for another 1100. I got called down by a guy with around 2k in his stack, he showed Q-10. Now I feel really stupid, if only I had anything. Is it always better to stab at a pot on the flop?

stupidsucker
07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
your push with T7o was much better then the Q-T call...

How can you call with Q-high on a tripped board??

SossMan
07-22-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HEY now soss,

he only had the nuts on the turn... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so, JT on a 789 rainbow flop isn't the nuts??
I'm going to have to take note of that.
Wait...are you playing with jokers?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif