PDA

View Full Version : Just a Fun Story

03-25-2002, 12:37 PM
We all know "stuff happens" at the poker table - right Vince? It is alot easier to laugh at the improbable when it works in your favor than the other way around (which is more common if you are playing correctly). Even the dealer had to comment on this one saying he'd never seen this before.

I call one bet from the BB with 55. Don't remember for sure but believe 5 players see the flop. Flop is JJ5. I'm thinking how much I love this flop but also that my hand is very vulnerable - anyone with a jack only has to hit their kicker to beat me. So I bet. Only one caller. This was the raiser - could easily have a jack although not too many raising hands where he would. Turn is another J. Uh oh, I was worried about a jack hitting his kicker - didn't even think of this scenario. Well, I still have jacks full of fives and figure I need to bet and see what happens. I bet, and am called. This guy probably would raise with a J here. Either he has a pair between fives and jacks or maybe overcards. Nonetheless, I'm thinking that this great flop has turned to shit. And then, river is a 5!!!! So, I'm thinking, I have quads and don't even have the nuts. Still, doubt he has a Jack. I bet, he calls. Before I can show my hand someone says "looks like quads" so I turn over my hand and say yeah but you didn't expect these quads. My opponent mucks - says I did indeed catch a one-outer (could be lying - did not seem very upset and this is a guy who would usually get real upset if beat by a one-outer). Even fearing it might seem rude I just had to laugh out loud. Like I said, "stuff happens" but boy it sure is fun when it happens in your favor.

Claude

03-25-2002, 09:08 PM
I guess you were playing against a guy who really had no interest in winning the pot. You'd think he'd throw a raise in on the flop or the turn with an averpair to 5's.

It might not have won him the pot, but the fact that he didn't do it makes him either weak, or lying about his hand.

03-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Speaking of hands like this, I had a great one the other night...

Playing 15-30 against a way-too-loose field, I found myself getting a bit frustrated at getting my good hands sucked out on. I pick up pocket tens UTG, and say to the table, "I've got a big pocket pair, so everyone should fold now!"

The next guy reraises, saying, "Yeah, I've got a big pocket pair too."

A couple players call, and a middle position player caps it, saying, "I've got a big pocket pair too." Most of the rest of the table call, with at least one other player talking about how he has a big pocket pair as well.

Looks like that strategy didn't quite work... /images/smile.gif

Anyway, flop comes AQT, rainbow. I bet, and say, "I've got a big set now." A raise behind me, and I hear, "I've got a big set too." By the time it gets back around to me, it's been capped, and at least four players have also claimed to have a set.

Turn is the beautiful case ten. I hestitate, not so much to try to figure out what to do, but to try to figure out if I should open my big mouth again. I bet, and say, "There's my quads."

Capped by the time it gets back to me (with a couple other people claiming quads as well), and four players remaining.

River is uneventful, I bet again, and get called by two players, who turn over pocket queens and pocket Aces, respectfully.

I didn't have the heart to blurt out, "I told you so."

DC

03-25-2002, 09:46 PM

03-25-2002, 10:23 PM
What a great time to hit your one-outer. Announce your hand, get others to play along, actually be badly trailing, and then suck out on them. I love it!!

Claude

03-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Dear Rushmore - you are absolutely correct. Read my post a few back of Playing JT Suited. This is same player who checked raised my nut straight and ended up paying $180 to see that he was beat on the river. Good guy to have in the game.

Claude