PDA

View Full Version : No Fear.

nepenthe
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
A couple hands for review:

LP with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I raise 2 limpers. Blinds call and it's 5 to the flop.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me and I bet. SB checkraises, one caller to me and I call.

Turn:
3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB bets, MP player calls to me and I raise. SB folds. (!) MP calls.

River: offsuit rag.

Check, bet, call.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Different table. I have Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button and limp after 4 limpers. Bad I know, just haven't been having much success with QK over the last 7,000 hands or so and didn't feel confident raising many limpers.

Flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

An EP player bets out. One LP caller to me, I call.

Turn: Offsuit 5.

EP bets, LP folds, I raise. EP calls.

River: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP bets, I raise, EP calls.

Kluddeludde
07-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Hand 1: I think your play is fine, if you think he could be on a flush draw. What would you have done at the river if SB had called the turn?

Hand 2: Raise preflop. And I would probably raise the flop as well, but I can see the perks with your play.

Kludde

Rico Suave
07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Hand 1:
Not sure I like this one. I think the turn raise is reasonable if it is HU and you are confident he is on a flush draw. But with the other player in the middle and an Ace high board..... I guess you'll have to convince me.

Hand 2:
Raise preflop...yada yada yada.
I really like your post flop play. The flop call and turn raise is perfect for this situation, imo. I like the river raise as well.

--Rico

MoreWineII
07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm having a hard time putting EP on a hand in the second example. What would he lead out with on each street and call a raise with?

Would he really stop and go twice with a weak Q?

Edit: I guess he only stopped and go'ed /images/graemlins/wink.gif once since you didn't raise the flop.

MAxx
07-21-2004, 05:50 PM
I see some brave play.

Hand one: Did you have a read? The turn raise does not make much sense unless you think you are up against a bluff and a flush draw. I would not think this would be a profitable line under normal circumstances.

Hand Two:

Too passive preflop and flop. Definite mistake to limp. If we forget that, I could see your vision of JUST calling flop in order to checkraise turn. To me this is a very agressive line, but not a bad play. Can you shut down and not piss away a lot of chips when you get 3 bet back on the turn?

nepenthe
07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
In hand 1, I had no specific read on SB but wanted to try something I have not done before - i.e. checkraise the turn with less than top pair against more than one opponent. I figured one of them had to be on a flush draw, and the other one (perhaps SB) could either have a J or a weak ace. I was greatly relieved when SB let go of the hand at the turn. If he called I check behind on the river. With just one opponent remaining at the river, I bet for value.

He had JQ and MHIG. SB, having folded the turn, said something like "F*C$@#%()&@#$$" and raised the very next hand. Luckily for him I had KK and we were HU, after which I raised the flop, raised the turn, and raised the river and won some more money. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 2, I figured it was unlikely that he had a made flush betting out so quickly. So my read on him was either a flush draw with the A or K of spades, a weaker queen, or some other pair with a medium/strong flush draw. The caller between him and myself concerned me a bit though, so I called the flop with the intent to raise a non-spade turn. When the LP player folded on the turn, there was no doubt in my mind. When he just the raise, I was more or less confirmed of my read unless he was extra tricky (and few players are at Party 2/4). He bets out again on what would be an otherwise scary river for those without at least Q or a flush. At this point, I said pshaw, if I had a dime for every time over the last 7,000 hands an opponent bet out at me on a pretty scary river with little to nothing, I'd be a millionaire. He mucked when I showed my 3oak. Later I found out he had JJ with the J of spades.

tolbiny
07-21-2004, 06:42 PM
At this point, I said pshaw, if I had a dime for every time over the last 7,000 hands an opponent bet out at me on a pretty scary river with little to nothing, I'd be a millionaire

Unless you are playing .05/.10 you should have WAY more than a dime for everytime the bet into you with nothing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
btw nice stones

nepenthe
07-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Hmm, just wanted to add that according to Ed Miller's new book, limping with KQo in Hand 2 may not a mistake:

"If the pot is already many-handed, perhaps five or six limpers, consider just limping with AJ and KQ."