PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me What You Think of This Play

kevyk
07-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Hello All,

I have noticed that one of the larger leaks in my SnG game is raising from early position with AK, then betting out on the flop whether or not I improve. I think that doing this in moderation is fine, but I've been getting caught way too often to justify it. For the purposes of this discussion, assume that I am average-stacked and that the blinds are significant yet not oppressive (e.g. 1400 chips at 50-100 level).

So, in thinking of how to fix this leak, I've come up with the following tactic: treat AK as a limp-reraising hand from EP. I love this play with AA and KK. Doing this would have several benefits:

1. If no one raised, I could see a flop without committing myself. I'd have to proceed carefully with all the limpers, but I like the deception of this play.

2. If there was a raise, I could reraise or fold based on how often I felt the other player would fold and my read on his hand strength. I would obviously not call an all-in in this spot, but I would push against, say, a medium stack who made a standard raise from late position.

3. I would seldom be dominated. Even if I was horribly wrong, and instead of AJ or AQ the person I reraised has JJ or QQ, I am a coinflip to win. If my opponent has AA or KK, there's a good chance I'd be all-in at some point anyway, so there's no loss of EV vs. betting out in EP.

4. There would be a 60% chance whenever I limp-reraised that I would have AA or KK (40 ways to make AA, KK, or AK; 16 are AK).

Comments?

Jason Strasser
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Interesting idea, in general I like your thinking, but I do not think this can be how you play every AK in EP, but maybe something you throw in for deception against players you see a lot.

It all comes down to the idea of taking the blinds uncontested. Doing anything but raising, destroys this possibility. AK is not the best L/R hand, because by limp raising often you are pot committing your opponent. Lets say your opponent raised with 77 or QJ (laggy) or some hand like that--you will never be very far ahead or behind, and you will force your opponent to correctly call your all-in.

I'd also say that if you were around 1100, or maybe even 1200, you could get away with pushing all-in PF with 50/100 blinds. Sure its over the 10x BB rule, but sometimes I feel with AK it's better to play it this way.

With the situation you described, I'd lean towards betting T300, and trying to take down the blinds. I'd likely call an all-in back to me. The thing about the flop is that you can play it carefully. The reason you bet T300 is because you CAN fold on the flop. If you had less chips (10xbb or less), folding on the flop would be a disaster. But with 1100 chips, no one is forcing you to put money in after the flop. I've made my standard 3xBB raise, and check folded many AK, and I still think thats the way to go (VS flailing away at the flop). Obviously the texture of the flop, and your read on your opponent matters a lot here--but if you are three-way and dont have TPTK or better, I really suggest check/folding.

Your play is interesting, and I would think it's a great thing to do to mix up play once in a while. A lot of your argument as to why limping with AK is good, applies to AQo in a ring game. You want to limp in because its not good enough to raise with, yet weaker aces will often pay you off. AK is too good for that. Bet.

-Jason

Kidd_King
07-21-2004, 05:06 PM
I think the way you play your AK is just fine. I'd only limp raise if I was really just trying to steal and push them out of the pot. What do you do if you miss the flop? Bet again right? Now your deeper in the hole, than if you just normally raised before the flop. You are committing yourself to it, when you could avoid losing a large number of your chips.

Now if you hit the flop nicely, you might be able to make some nice money, granted he didn't hit a set.

I like this play when I'm shortstacked because it forces me to see all the 5 board cards. I'd rather avoid this play if I'm average stacked.