PDA

View Full Version : Using Wireless Mouse Online

MarkL444
07-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I play 4-8 Tables at a time online and use a wireless mouse/keyboard. Im worried whats going to happen when the batteries on my mouse die/start to die. Will I know ahead of time? (Perhaps by declining performance?). What if I have a sweet hand when they die?

Has anybody had their mouse die on them while playing? Is this risk enough for me to go buy a regular mouse?

Mark

JTG51
07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Mine gives a warning when the batteries are low. I just keep extras on my desk.

JayCo
07-21-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anybody had their mouse die on them while playing? Is this risk enough for me to go buy a regular mouse?
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes!

$15-$30 holdem game. Flopped broadway with 4-way action. Wireless mouse battery craps the bed. Timed out after putting only $15 on flop (luckily had 1all-in left). Mouse flew to a rapid and violent dealth.

2 bits of wisdom I learned the expensive way:
A) Have spare batteries within 6 feet of your computer. Buy the ones with the little power meter so you know if they're good.
B) Spend $10 on a having an extra "wired" mouse on hand if plan A doesn't work.

Alobar
07-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I LOVE my wireless mouse. Thankfully tho it warns me ahead of time when my batteries are getting low, and I always keep a spare pair on my desk just incase. I had them die once while playing, had QQ in the BB and they died. I got them switched out in time, altho I lost the hand so I wish I hadnt, heh.

You can also invest in a rechargable wirelsss mouse, they are a little more, but then you never pay for batteries and you never have to worry about it dying because you can stick it on the charger when you are away

MarkL444
07-21-2004, 04:36 PM
What brand is your mouse? I just got mine with my new Dell so Im not sure yet if they warn me.

DrSavage
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You can also invest in a rechargable wirelsss mouse, they are a little more, but then you never pay for batteries and you never have to worry about it dying because you can stick it on the charger when you are away

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean there are actually wireless mice that are NOT rechargeable? That just doesn't sound right.
I have logitech MX700, it has yet to die on me once and recharges really fast.

JayCo
07-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes, sadly, there are both non-rechargeable mice and ones that don't give you a warning they're dying.

I really like the rechargeable Gyration mouse I switched to. You can control it with hand movements (i.e., no flat surface), so you can recline in a comfy chair and chill while playing.

Warik
07-21-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean there are actually wireless mice that are NOT rechargeable? That just doesn't sound right.
I have logitech MX700, it has yet to die on me once and recharges really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the MX700 recently. Great mouse! It died on me once while involved in a hand. Popped it on the charger for 5 seconds and it got enough juice to finish the hand. Beats the hell out of the old Logitech model that had the red light that kept blinking all night and drained the batteries.

Alobar
07-21-2004, 08:30 PM
yup, they make a non rechargable kind. Unfortunately I own one because I was to cheap to buy a rechargable one. So I have to replace batteries every couple weeks.

Mastermmmm
07-22-2004, 03:17 AM
I have used a wireless mouse for about 2 years now. What happens when the battery gets low is the software will nomally pop up and tell you to replace the battery. I have had an occasion when it did not do that, but that was only once in all the time I have had this mouse. Do keep an extra battery around and you should not have any problem. You may want to practice changing it, as it can take a couple seconds to do... /images/graemlins/club.gif

sin808
07-22-2004, 03:51 AM
you can usually tell beforehand. It gets skippy, and starts missing clicks...it's never been much of a problem though. Once it starts I just sit out a hand and pop in new batteries.

JayCo
07-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah, you do usually get a warning, but it's a little like the "Low on Fuel" light in your car. If it's 2am, you don't have batteries, and you know you squeezed out a few more laps last time, the Dumb & Lazy like me keep pushing the envelope until they get burned.

On a quasi-related note, has anyone tried using voice command software to play at Party?

t_perkin
07-22-2004, 10:32 AM
I have used a wireless mouse for a few years playing poker now. I get no warning on mine it just stops dead.

Just keep a spare set of bats nearby and you will be fine.

I keep the cover off the battery slot and a sharp whack on the table and they fall out and I can shove the new ones in in a second or two.

Tim