PDA

View Full Version : Advice for WSOP Winners

benfranklin
07-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Attributed to Vince Lombardi: When you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before.

Applicable to: About 75% of the players when they won big pots last night, but particularly the game winners.

scotnt73
07-21-2004, 04:25 PM
if i had just won a major tourney then you can bet your ass im going to be jumping up and down(especially my first one). Hell youd think id just won the lottery last month when i won 400$ after beating 1500 people in a free roll on empire /images/graemlins/grin.gif. 350k or more is ALOT of money to me and im going to get excited. i dont think its bad taste at all to get excited after winning a tourney.

I would shake the 2nd place finishers hand first. Then i would jump up and down, look for my wife, and then go have the best steak dinner of my life. I wouldnt celebrate every hand though. however i would prob pump a fist after winning a big pot.

watch the end of the super bowl. looks like those football players are celebrating to me!

ohkanada
07-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Well said Scotnt73!

freemont
07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I think the point of this post was not that it isn't ok to celebrate, but to do it in a manner that shows some class. Actually Scotnt73 makes a good point by saying, I'd shake 2nd place's hand first, that's my main gripe with a lot of these people--shake the guys hand and say good game before running into the crowd to get a tug job from one of your crew-mates.

jwvdcw
07-21-2004, 09:34 PM
But most of these people havn't 'been there before.' Thats not at all like an NFL touchdown where most of the guys have scored many times before.

Mastermmmm
07-21-2004, 10:30 PM
I've got to agree with you. I would much rather see a 'good game' handshake before the bragging starts with the crowd. In any case one has to be excited, but at the same time do it with some dignity and some grace.

RowdyZ
07-22-2004, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Attributed to Vince Lombardi: When you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before.

Applicable to: About 75% of the players when they won big pots last night, but particularly the game winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is most haven't been there before and realize deep down they probably aren't going to get there again. Of course there are still some pro who have been there before who act like bigger jerks then 99% of the new winners, such as Men the Master and Scotty Nguyen.
They have been there before and should believe in thier skill enough to think they can and will get there again.

chrisdhal
07-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Good points.

Also, don't jump on the table, you look like an ass.

Phishy McFish
07-22-2004, 10:11 AM
C'mon.....your 20 something and you're on ESPN......PLAYING POKER......you just pulled out your machismo card and tried to buy a pot......got called.......and then hit the miracle card.....your heart was pumping and all your "boys" there(I won't call them a crew....that's just sad)......you're going to "pull the lawn mower cord"/"pump the fist"....maybe not lay your back on the table.....but for sure run over to the guys and get some chest bumping......let the guy enjoy the moment.

One good point stated many times though.....give the guy who made the right play (at the wrong time) the respect of a handshake and "tough beat man.....great game/tourney."

...then.WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....TOP OF THE WORLD MOM!!

I have envisioned winning a huge tourney for big dollars and making a bigger ass of myself......ever see Jordan jump up on the scorer's table after winning the finals.....if you see that on TV poker.....then I have improved my game considerably and welcome all of your flames (I'll be too rich to care).....but I WILL shake the other guys hand first. /images/graemlins/grin.gif