PDA

View Full Version : Hand to talk about..snapping a semi-bluff

03-24-2002, 02:22 PM
The following hand happened last night at the Taj Mahal in Ac at a short-handed ( 6 players) 10-20 game.

First in +2UTG raises, folded to me and I call with pockets 9's from the button. We see the flop head to head. Should I have reraised?

Flop 2 7 5 rainbow

The first player to act bets. I know the flop couldnt have helped him. This player wouldnt bet if he had a real hand, he would wait for the turn or he would have gone for a check-raise. I decide to raise, he reraised I call. Now I dont know if he is trying to buy the pot, or he has a hand.

Turn 2 7 5 (8) complete rainbow

Player checked. I didnt want to walk into a check raise, so I check behind him. Should I have bet?

River 2 7 5 8 (5)

Player bets out, I call and my 9's were good. My opponent had AQ off suit.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

MK

03-24-2002, 02:35 PM
I would bet the turn, his check seems kind of silly if he has a good hand and your pair is low to risk a free card. If he check-raises on the turn, maybe you can fold after two such strong moves but it is hard to imagine what his hand would be, 88? I would bet the river too if he checks.

d.

03-24-2002, 03:08 PM
I would indeed have 3-bet BTF. To me this is a raise or muck situation. I'd prefer to be heads up tih the raiser than have the hand 3 or 4 handed. Heads up I'm a favorite against overcards or a smaller pair. Three or four handed I almost have to hit a set to have a shot.

Maybe it's just my aggressive style but I think your play was way to passive BTF and on the turn.

Claude

03-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Pre-flop, I might play one way or the other, mostly cold-calling.

On the turn, it seems as if you didn't trust your read of your opponent; if the flop was of no use, why should the eight be either? Maybe he has top pair, fair kicker for his flop bet. Here, I'd favour betting.When he leads on the river, you're going to call anyway, and if you get check-raised, you can muck if so inclined.Also, I'd prefer a raise on the end, but I could be wrong.

perfidious