PDA

View Full Version : Getting Beat by Passive Players and Drawing Hands?

digdeep
07-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Started playing Party .5/1 in the last week, and have done well some days, but not so well other days. I have read all of the books and I am trying to now implement these strategies, but the passive callers at these low limits seem to draw out on me all of the time. After being drawn out on, mostly to straights, I tend to be extremely angry and lose a little composure; something I know I need to work on.

But how does one play with these passive loose callers? Can one only play the nuts aggressively, should I be playing more suited connectors to try and CHEAPLY draw at the same straights that are beating me, does one have to be very careful with just one pair all of the time, with these players do you have to play even tighter? I would be extremely grateful for any insights regarding key strategic points that I might keep in mind when playing these players at these low limits.

Thanks for the replies

easypete
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Started playing Party .5/1 in the last week, and have done well some days, but not so well other days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard.

[ QUOTE ]
the passive callers at these low limits seem to draw out on me all of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not possible. If it was possible, none of us would be playing. You want the passive callers. They miss most of the time, and they give you money.

[ QUOTE ]
After being drawn out on, mostly to straights, I tend to be extremely angry and lose a little composure; something I know I need to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go on tilt. Understand that them drawing out on you IS what makes you the money in the long run. They miss most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
But how does one play with these passive loose callers?

[/ QUOTE ]

By playing good.

[ QUOTE ]
Can one only play the nuts aggressively, should I be playing more suited connectors to try and CHEAPLY draw at the same straights that are beating me, does one have to be very careful with just one pair all of the time, with these players do you have to play even tighter?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are loosing money, you are probably playing too loose anyway. If you are playing with a good pf strategy and are playing good post flop, you will make money in the long run. There is still a luck factor in this game (it's what keeps the fish coming).

You have to pay attention to how many are in the pot. In the group 3 hands, you have AQo and QJs. In a multiway pot, I would rather have QJs than AQo, but heads up, I'll play the AQo more aggressive.

I would definately recommend reading the posts in this forum, as well as searching for topics like "starting hands" and "loose tables". There is a wealth of information already there.

Also bisonbison is starting a website for frequently asked questions. http://www.stompandcrush.com/

I would pay attention to this site as well.

Post some hands.... Let's see why you're getting beat.

flair1239
07-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Keep playing correctly; do not lower your level of play. Keep making them pay for their suck out attempts.

As for implementing strategies from books, I am taking an incremental approach. Build from the ground up, learn when to play with your starting hands, you can play suited connectors when you have the proper amount of people in with you.

Right now I am focusing on betting my draws, if you can get the amount of callers to exceed your odds of making your hand, then you should do it. This will help make up for the times your draws are busted.

Just be patient and endure the swings and the boring times, over time if you keep playing well, you will make money.

RED_RAIN
07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Some concepts of knowing where the bet is coming from, if it's to the right of you, knowing when to raise to try to get drawers to fold is good and also to protect your hand more.

rjc199
07-21-2004, 01:10 PM
"I have read all the books" - which ones?

I recommend in this order:
1) Hold em poker
2) theory of poker
3) small stakes holdem

Frankly, if you haven't read small stakes holdem or read any posts on this forum you probably have no idea how to play in low limit games. In the meantime before you get the new small stakes book I recommened you read every post in the small and micro stakes forums by Clarkmeister, Ed Miller, and Dynasty.

Nemesis
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Which comes to about 5000 posts with just theirs, and about 30,000 with all the replies =)

dfscott
07-21-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm with the other responders. One thing to add is to not get trapped into playing their junk, which is a natural reaction. When UTG hits his flush on the river with 64s to beat your flopped set of kings (happened to me last night), it makes YOU want to play cheese. Don't do it.