Mony Mony - Billy Idol
Wild Thing - The Troggs

Paul

WEASEL45
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
anything by dropkick murphys

nothumb
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't think one can get through a night of drinking with a clear conscience without listening to the Pogues.

Specifically, in no particular order, Sally Maclennane, The Body of an American, Fairytale of New York, A Pair of Brown Eyes, Streams of Whiskey, and If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

NT

fsuplayer
07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Chumbawamba.

...again, not even close.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fsuplayer

juanez
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
"Piano Man", Billy Joel

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
My Heart Will Go On - try it.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

nolanfan34
07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My Heart Will Go On - try it.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That song needs more cowbell.

I'm not endorsing this as a good choice, but seems everytime I'm in a bar someone plays Margaritaville on the jukebox and people sing along.

Aloysius
07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Hotel California is a good one I think. Everyone knows the lyrics and they're completely ludicrous. Goodnight Saigon? Pretty morbid if you ask me, but Billy Joel is right up there with Neil Diamond as "artist if you randomly picked song from repertoire is fun to sing drunk to with a group of friends."

One time I was in a gay bar (don't ask) and they started playing "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls, pretty amusing spectacle to behold.

Martin Aigner
07-21-2004, 02:15 PM
I can see why you think that Saigon can be a real good song for a group of drunks. Anyway, my favourite would be: Angie by the Stones.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Steven_Monk
07-21-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see why you think that Saigon can be a real good song for a group of drunks. Anyway, my favourite would be: Angie by the Stones.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

[/ QUOTE ]

Martin: How about Anton of Tyrol?

By the way, I'm coming over to your side of country for somes Sacher Torte! I needs some kaffe as well. Whyle I am in Wien, I always have little weinies too.

M2d
07-21-2004, 03:12 PM
brown eyed girl

astroglide
07-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Goodnight Saigon? Pretty morbid if you ask me

just think about the refrain: AND WE WOULD ALLLLLL GO DOOWWWWWNN TOGETHER. the drunk thing, not the oral sex thing. it's sad too, but in a good drunk kind of way.

Schneids
07-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Considering not more than one or two people tops in a group will ever know this song, it is a poor singing choice.

But as far as drinking choice, not much tops Flogging Molly "Devil's Dance Floor." Seriously, download it if you haven't heard it. Irish sounding acoustic parts and beats, rock music, sung by a dude with an English accent. Bar none the best drinking music.

Or send me a PM and I'll email you the song. You'll thank me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jagoff
07-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Foolish Beat
-Debbie Gibson

End of Debate!

astroglide
07-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Considering not more than one or two people tops in a group will ever know this song, it is a poor singing choice.

i don't drink, much less sing, with strangers. my friends know the song, and if they don't they'll learn it.

Gamblor
07-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Home for a Rest by Spirit of the West

This song gets belted out once a weekend in every bar in the country, usually sometime near last call.

Key lyric:

We arrived in December when London was cold
We stayed in the bar, along Charing Cross Road
We never saw nothing but brass taps and oak
Left a shine on the bar with the sleeves of our coats

You'll have to excuse me I'm not at my best
I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left
These so-called vacations will soon be my death
I'm so sick of the drink, I need home for a rest.

The gas heater's empty, it's damp as a tomb
And the spirits we drank are now ghosts in the room
I'm knackered again, come on sleep take me soon
And don't lift up my head 'til the twelve bells of noon

B Dids
07-21-2004, 04:03 PM
When I was in college there were two kinds of parties.

Parties that white people went to- and Steve Miller, Bob Marley and Satana played non-stop, so I'm sure people will vote for crap off of those albums (two of which I like, but am now sick of).

Parties where non-people went, where people danced. Nothing rocked the spot like Dre and Snoop's "Ain't Nothing but a..." and saddly House of Pain's "Jump Around". Both would get half the guys in the place rapping along.

Schneids
07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
After thinking about it more the best drinking/singing song I've ever experienced at a party was and still is Nelly "Ride Wit Me" in terms of getting people to both sing along adamently and dance along.

Schneids
07-21-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chumbawamba.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak.

More like "IF people are singing along to this song then they are ten minutes from passing out."

smudgex68
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't know the title of the song, but it goes something like

Skoll, skoll, skoll, skoll, skoll

Or the other classic we always sing along to at the Munich beer festival (also heard this in some bars in Pamplona)

Aussie
Kiwi
Aussie
Kiwi, etc

This one's really catchy

James Boston
07-21-2004, 05:14 PM
There's no "Louie, Louie" or country songs in this thread.

nothumb
07-21-2004, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Chumbawamba.

Weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on! Anarchist pop rules!

"Nothing ever burns down by itself,
Every fire needs a little bit of help..."

I doubt if most people know anything but that one song about knock me down or whatever.

NT

Aloysius
07-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Good point... the key to a good drinking song is a killer refrain. Goodnight Saigon qualifies.

BTW, who doesn't know the words to Goodnight Saigon?

CptMisery
07-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Never be in a bar in West Virginia when "Country Roads" comes on the jukebox.

Ed S.
07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
American Pie- Don McClain

Friends in low places- Garth Brooks

Piano Man -Billy Joel

Joy to the World - 3 Dogg Night

Mighty tuff to beat those.

Ed S.

Acesover8s
07-21-2004, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in college there were two kinds of parties.

Parties that white people went to- and Steve Miller, Bob Marley and Satana played non-stop, so I'm sure people will vote for crap off of those albums (two of which I like, but am now sick of).

Parties where non-people went, where people danced. Nothing rocked the spot like Dre and Snoop's "Ain't Nothing but a..." and saddly House of Pain's "Jump Around". Both would get half the guys in the place rapping along.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with this post?

Philuva
07-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Pearl Jam's cover of I Got a Feeling at the top of your lungs.

Paddy
07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think one can get through a night of drinking with a clear conscience without listening to the Pogues.

Specifically, in no particular order, Sally Maclennane, The Body of an American, Fairytale of New York, A Pair of Brown Eyes, Streams of Whiskey, and If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Answer.

Some other, more traditional Irish tunes make for a good time as well. Wild Rover and, if anyone else knows the words, Seven Drunken Nights are spectacular drinking songs.

Riverman
07-22-2004, 03:03 AM
free bird and its not close. Do you see why?

Moyer
07-22-2004, 03:12 AM
"You Don't Have to Call Me Darlin" - David Allen Coe

Depends what kind of mood everyone's in I guess.

"Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC

"Simple Man" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Riverman
07-22-2004, 03:14 AM
also, "crazy game of poker" by OAR

The Dude
07-22-2004, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering not more than one or two people tops in a group will ever know this song...

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but I'd be happy to drink with anybody who knows this song.

Although I do think Piano Man and Only The Good Die Young are better choices. Even Scenes From An Italian Restaurant would be better to drink to.

Joshua
07-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Mine would be "När vi gräver guld i USA" which is a song about when Sweden took 3rd place in the World Soccer Championships in USA 1994. Obviously it helps to be a Swede.

Diplomat
07-22-2004, 04:14 AM
This year I spent my St. Pat's Day shouting out requests for Dirty Old Town, between irish car bombs and other assorted drinks. No bender involving Guiness is complete without it.

-Diplomat

youtalkfunny
07-22-2004, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"You Don't Have to Call Me Darlin" - David Allen Coe

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never heard of this song, until I found the piano bar on a cruise ship last fall. This song, along with "Piano Man", were the most popular sing-a-longs.

If I ever get around to writing a screenplay, I'll be sure to include the following scene, which I witnessed with my very own eyes in a bar in Lawrence, MA:

It was my first time in this bar, a crummy dive. The jukebox was playing, but no one was really paying attention to it.

Then the familiar piano intro of "Werewolves of London" came on, and the entire atmosphere in the place changed instantly. EVERY regular shifted on his stool a little. The middle-aged bartender quickly showed an amused yet worried look on her face.

"What's going on?", I asked my friend who had brought me here.

"You'll see!", he replied with a gleam in his eye.

I found out when Zevon let out his first "ow-OOOO!", because everyone in the bar was singing it with him at the top of their lungs. None of the lyrics, just the "ow-OOOO!"

I thought this was great fun, and joined in.

About halfway through the song, an old man came stomping into the bar from the back storage area. He was furious. He unplugged the juke box, and threatened to murder anyone who continued to howl. He hated that song, and wanted to cut open the bellies of any one of us scumbags who wanted to come into his bar to howl.

It was clear by the reactions of all that this was a regular ritual in this bar: Zevon, howling, profanity-laced outburst by grumpy old man.

tpir90036
07-22-2004, 09:50 AM
good call on "goodnight saigon." i like to throw "scenes from an italian restaurant" on at around 1:30am at the bar i frequent downtown and that gets people in a righteous good singing mood.

tpir90036
07-22-2004, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.....House of Pain's "Jump Around"....would get half the guys in the place rapping along.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. sounds like those were some really sweet parties.

BreakEvenPlayer
07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places

Sublime - Santeria

SpiderMnkE
07-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I can't believe no one has said

Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville...

doesn't everyone sing this at parties when driggiddy drizzzunk

jagoff
07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
I can't understand why noone has said

"Closer" -NIN
"Baby Got Back" -Sir Mix A Lot
"It's the End of the World as We Know It(and I feel fine)- REM *note: even though everyone just kinda mumbles along*
"Two of Hearts"- Stacie Q
"Theme from Titanic" -Celine Dion

Steven_Monk
07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Rock me Amadeus, by Falco.

And it not too much close.

Others:

Rock you like Hurrikane - Skorpions
Love in Elevator - Arrowhead
Flight of the Valkrie - Wagner

jagoff
07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
You forgot "Unskinny Bop" - Poison

samjjones
07-22-2004, 04:12 PM
F*** You Gently, Tenacious D

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 06:25 PM
The one that I have seen more people jump in and sing along to is Sweet Home Alabama. EVERYONE knows that song.

Sponger15SB
07-22-2004, 10:00 PM
I can't believe you people! you should all be shot for not mentioning

"Here I go again" by Whitesnake.

Nothing gets a bunch of drunk college kids singing at an 80's party quite like this song.

Ok I just got back from eating dinner and just had to edit this post to say again how sad I am that nobody bothered to mention this.

ThaSaltCracka
07-23-2004, 12:35 AM
I can't believe how sad it is that you like Whitesnake

Sponger15SB
07-23-2004, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how sad it is that you like Whitesnake

[/ QUOTE ]

from the who who suggests that sweet home alabama is the best drinking song, i could give a crap what you say. SHA is one of the worst songs out there and i am tired of hearing it over and over and over and over. edit Lynyrd is good, as freebird, tuesdays gone, and simple man are all incredible songs, and each make fine drinking songs too, so don't get me wrong i'm not a hater of their music specifically, just of that hokey ass song.

btw, whiteshakes rules, not just a one hit wonder.

OrangeHeat
07-23-2004, 01:26 AM
The first two were tops on my mind - I am a hick originally though. Extra verse of Freinds is good if u can remember it drunk.

Orange

astroglide
07-23-2004, 01:40 AM
i'll back you up on whitesnake, but only because i know what it means to walk along the street of dreams.

radar5
07-23-2004, 10:39 PM
one bourbon, one scotch, one beeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr

beerbandit
07-24-2004, 10:08 AM
that is a great song

there are so many songs that i like to hear while drunk

i agree with most on this list

sweet caroline
piano man
friends in low places
pour some sugar (not one of my favorites)
one bourbon, one scotch, one beer

eastbay
07-24-2004, 12:25 PM
You guys missed a biggie: "Friends in Low Places."

eastbay

eastbay
07-24-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
free bird and its not close. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for this is that...

eastbay

Moyer
07-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Because it's an awesome song.

And yes, "Friends in Low Places" has already been mentioned more than once. Good pick.

radar5
07-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I drnk alone.....all by myself.....because when i'm alone......i prefer to be by myself

Moyer
07-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Another good one:

"I Like Beer" by Tom T Hall