PDA

View Full Version : Raising the turn, folding to a three-bet...

ElSapo
07-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Not sure I played this hand right. Party 1/2 and i've just sat down. Game seems tighter than normal, but it's too early to tell. This is only my fifth hand.

One limper to me, I raise late with QQ. Blinds call, four to the flop.

44Kr. Checked to me, I bet, BB and limper call.

Turn is a 3, BB bets. Limper folds, I raise. He three-bets and I fold.

Standard? Stupid? As he's an unknown, it may have been better to call-down. But is this line far wrong? Better if the King isn't on the board?

DeathDonkey
07-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi ElSapo,

Fold to the initial turn bet. He is trying to trap the limper between you, or he just wants to test you. But he's not doing it with a 3, your beat on the flop.

Much better if the King isn't there, but that's entirely different anyway.

-DeathDonkey

Rico Suave
07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
El Sapo:

If you decide that you might be ahead here when he bets into you on the turn, I think calling down is better than raising and folding to a 3-bet.

a. It is HU, so there is not the need to push someone else out.

b. Too often, my opponent will just call the turn raise, and then bet into me again on the river. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Then, of course, I end up paying him off, only to be shown a 3 and I wan't to kick myself.

c. You are unlikely to get him to fold a better hand, or a hand that is drawing live against you. (not many on that board)

d. You can spend the same amount, get to a showdown, and still have a small chance at improving.

FWIW, I hate this spot, and whatever decision I make always seems to be the wrong one.

--Rico