PDA

View Full Version : Jeter and Rolen

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 11:37 AM
for all of you Jeter-haters out there, I think this (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1842904) speaks volumes about him and Scott Rolen.

B-Man
07-21-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't know many people that hate Jeter, but a lot of people (correctly) think he's overrated; I've never heard anyone question his attitude. He's been the third-best shortstop in the American League for most of his career (prior to this year).

Why wasn't Carl Everett on this list?

andyfox
07-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Everett finished just behind Raul Mondesi and Jeff Weaver in the poll.

I would imagine there are some Red Sox fans who hate Jeter because he's been at the center of the Yankees' recent success. But he seems to be an admirable player. He's never badmouthed anybody that I can remember (he and Nomar hugged when one was coming in and one going out on a two-for-one switch in the all-star game a few years back) and plays hard (leaving the box at full speed on every routine ground ball) and, usually, well. He's a bit over-rated because he's had high batting averages (which aren't as valuable as they would be if he walked more); he's a showy fielder, but his range factors have been weak; and he's had some wonderful moments and series in the post-season. Bill James rated him the best player in the American League the year he hit three-forty something.

BTW, I think I heard on ESPN yesterday that the Yankees have had the 2nd highest ERA in the majors the last month, but in that time the Red Sox have lost ground. Doesn't bode well for the Sox, despite my early season (mis)prediction.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
he may be overrated offensivley or defensively, but there is something about the way he plays that makes him special. He seems like a monster competitor, but in a positive way. He always gives everything on everyplay, and personally I would rather have players like him on my team. I suppose the same can be said for a lot of those guys on that list. I was actually pretty happy to see several young players listed.

BTW, does anyone think Rolen is underrated?

B-Man
07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Jeter is probably the most likeable Yankee to this Red Sox fan.

The Red Sox are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

They *should* have a better record, but they don't. They don't seem to have any heart.

Keith Foulke started 10 for 10 in save opportunities. He's 4 for his last 9. 5 blown saves is a lot for the entire season, to blow 5 out of 9 is absurd. He's far from the only problem of late, but the extra inning game the other night was a disaster, and he has to bear the brunt of the blame.

If you had told me before the season that Schilling, Pedro, Manny and Ortiz would perform the way they have to this point, I would have asked how many games ahead of the Yankees the Sox would be! As it is, they have almost no chance of winning the division, and have to hope for the wildcard again.

My only hope is that the Sox can get the wildcard, because one they are in, with Schilling and Pedro, they would have a decent chance to beat anyone.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 01:23 PM
the most glarring weakness of the Red Sox right now, has to be their bullpen... it is pretty weak. There is little reason for the M's to make a comeback on anyone, especially the red sox. After that two game series with them, I can only come to one of two conclusions. Either the sox are playing like crap right now(pitching and defensively atleast) or the M's are playing better with some of these new young guys. Maybe its a bit of both, but still Boston should have trucked them..... this can't bode well for Red Sox fans....

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
The Red Sox are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Who cares. In 50 days it will be football season. Then we get to focus on the team that has earned our support.

B00T
07-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Who in the world voted for Garret Anderson?? I have been an Angels fan for a number of years and always disliked Anderson for his lack of hustle. He is a pretty good fielder and he tries out there. There are countless times I have never seen him bother to run out ground balls he has it. This just struck me odd.

I am aware that he is very quiet, and does not show a lot of emotion (Phil Ivey-like if you would), but not showing emotion and playing hard and animated are two different things. Once again Peter Gammons does not disappoint me in being a clown.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I have little respect for Anderson as well. Apparently he won't dive for balls during the regular season because he doesn't want to injure himself. Whatever man.... atleast Griffey tries hard whenever he injures himself.... maybe thats his problem... he cares to much.