PDA

View Full Version : Fancy raise: smart play?

03-23-2002, 07:59 PM
A very loose, very aggressive 10-20 game. I have incredibly tight immage since I was getting horrible cards for about 3hrs, they were actually making jokes about my tightness.

I hold AsQs, raise first in from 3rd position. Only small blind, a loose aggressive player, calls my raise.

Flop: Jh 10d 4s

Small blind bets, I raise, he raises back, I call.

Turn: 9c

Now I have open ended straight draw with two overcards, though the overcards arent much good since a queen might give him a straight, and an ace could give him two pair.

Player bets, I raise, player calls.

River: 3d

Player checks, I check. Player shows JJ and takes the pot. Flame away.

03-23-2002, 08:31 PM
I think the flames are going to be for your opponent who didn't reraise you on the turn. Unless he put you on specifically KQ, he HAD TO have you beat. If I were him I would have reraised you on the turn, then checked-called the river if you four-bet the turn. If you did not four-bet the turn, he would collect the same # of bets either way, and I wouldn't put you on KQ until you DID four bet me.

Dave in Cali (in Vegas)

03-24-2002, 05:02 AM
It definetely sucks to not get a hand for three hours as you said and then come across this situation. But just call the turn and fold the river after you miss.

03-24-2002, 07:55 AM
Every once in a blue moon, I may raise the turn here, but I'd do it against a timid opponent, who will call the river, no matter what comes.

I would never raise the turn, and I may not even raise the flop against a very loose, very aggressive opponent...I have to figure he'll be making it 3 bets on the flop, and I won't be able to get a free card. Since I don't have a hand to value raise the flop, I may not raise it at all, and I certainly wouldn't raise the turn.

You are fairly fortunate that the SB didn't reraise you, as Dave says. You've played virtually no hands for 3 hours, and you raise in early position, and the SB has the audacity to think you may have KQ? Seems odd, especially for a very loose, very aggressive player, right?

So, not a bad move, just against the wrong opponent, I think.

Josh