PDA

View Full Version : Hand history

unfrgvn
07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Not an earth shattering question here, just sanity checking:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

Hero (t1455)
UTG (t3770)
Button (t705)
SB (t2070)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

SB bets t300,

As far as reads, he had been average, perhaps on the passive side. My best guess for his hand was over cards. So do you fold or push?

HighStack
07-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Tell us why you would think to push I'm interested. What did you do and what happened? That hand is ranked 917 out of 1082 possible hands. (84.66% of hands might be better)

Cleveland Guy
07-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I fold -

I'm assuming top 3 place - and your on the bubble. Button is gonna lost most his stack next time the blind come to him - so you might get 3rd and ITM just by folding.

Also - your chasing with a 9 High Flush Draw. Is that what you want to risk your tournament on?

If he has 2 over cards- you have 15 outs - or about 30%. If his 2 over cards are hearts, your down to 6 outs.

He also was the small blind and just limped in. he could have had 10-9, K7, A5, etc. Any of those limit you to 9-12 outs.

I don't see anyway your greater than a 30% chance to win the hand - and it seems like a large risk to take with the chance I might no place

HighStack
07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also - your chasing with a 9 High Flush Draw. Is that what you want to risk your tournament on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jason Strasser
07-21-2004, 12:07 PM
This has everything to do with this player's previous betting patterns. A lot of poor players get into the habit of completing from the SB when folded to, and mini-betting every flop.

Against a player like this I have absolutely no problem moving over the top with a flush draw. If this player had a tight image, and was solid, this is a very easy muck.

So, it depends on what you are dealing with here. I like to play back at a person who does this one too many times, and this is a good enough hand IMO to try something.

unfrgvn
07-21-2004, 12:09 PM
First let me say I appreciate the reply.

[ QUOTE ]
I fold -

I'm assuming top 3 place - and your on the bubble. Button is gonna lost most his stack next time the blind come to him - so you might get 3rd and ITM just by folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This did flash through my mind. But if he catches a hand and doubles up then I'm on the short stack. I used to always play it the way you are reccomending, which is one reason I'm posting this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally no. I felt that mathmatically the chances of him having two hearts were small, since I had 2 and there were 2 on board. Obviously I'm not looking to get called here.

[ QUOTE ]
He also was the small blind and just limped in. he could have had 10-9, K7, A5, etc. Any of those limit you to 9-12 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, his range of hands is much larger than just 2 over cards. Still, his bet either represented a hand he didn't want to get called with or a very big hand. I was hoping it was the former.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anyway your greater than a 30% chance to win the hand - and it seems like a large risk to take with the chance I might no place

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only 30% if he calls. I certainly thought there was good chance he would lay it down.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> I did push. He called with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, OESD. The turn is a 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the made str8 and the river is a blank. I'm out. I still think pushing was probably the right play, I was hoping this was the sort of hand he would lay down. According to two dimes after the flop I was 44% to win, he was 43%, and 13% to split. </font>

Cleveland Guy
07-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I'll admit you lost a hand he probably made a very loose call on. Your play was strong - but very very risky.

I still don't like the play - but that's just me, and if we each played the same way- what fun would the game be?