PDA

View Full Version : How to get out of a losing frame of mind?

granny50
07-21-2004, 03:33 AM
I am not a great player, neither am I good. I am however aware of my capabilities as a player and I know I am better than 60% of the drunks that play at my table. However, for the last month, I have just been busting out regularly. I've been playing for a year, and have logged over 2500 hours. But this is horrendous. I just can't seem to win a hand and I'm always dodging monsters.
I mean always, if I have top pair, someone has a set, and they will overbet it and I fold. If I have a flush draw, someone will have the higher flush draw. BTW, I usually only get these flush draws from BB hands.
I've been regularly busting out and I am playing scared, not because of the money, but am just afraid I always have the losing hand. Everytime I go all-in - its one of three things - I lose to an outdraw, I split the pot with someone who caught up, eg i have made str8 and he had a draw to it or we both have the same cards, or I lose to a better hand.
It has affected my playing quite a bit I can tell, as my girlfriend who watches me play says that I have stopped raising so much. I finally believed this when today I had AKo in the BB (blinds are 0.10/0.25) and some drunk guy raised to $1. This means pocket pair. I flat called and then folded the 999 flop. Is this what you also do? Normally I might have reraised, but for some reason I am slowing down, because I always think I am going to miss the flop and so there's not point raising and then folding on the flop.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this frame of mind? I hate it. I hate the way I am playing. It sucks.

Akasha
07-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Change your table image...

Right now I guarantee you that your playing partners have picked up on your weak play, and are capitalizing.

I cannot believe that you play entire sessions and just never win a hand. Play tight aggressive. Only play the top tier hands. But when you do play them press you advantage. Don't go in with the mindset you will be outdrawn.

This may serve two purposes.

First:
Statisticly you will win most of these hands. Your aggressive play will make cause for less people drawing against you, and since you said at this point you arent worried about the money, then you dont need to worry about driving potential losing callers out.

Secondly:
When you are outdrawn. At the very worst your opponents will see that you were indeed playing with top hands. And will know they were very fortunate and may slow down a bit.

Once you've reestablished yourself at your regular table as a strong player, instead of the way you are viewed now, you can begin to bluff, semi bluff and play tier 3 hands when position warrants.

These are just my opienions and I am no expert. It just seems reasonable to me. Hope your play improves. <font color="purple"> </font>

hoc
07-21-2004, 07:04 AM
i agree, if your girlfriend has noticed i'm sure others will have. try rereading the material you have.